UNM stifled by Utah defense in 80-69 loss

Failure makes fourth consecutive road game loss

Staff and Wire Report

SALT LAKE CITY - Kevin Bradley scored 19 points and Jeff Johnsen had 15 as Utah made a late run to defeat New Mexico 80-69 Monday.

The Utes, who stretched their conference home winning streak to 42 games, outscored the Lobos 16-6 to end the game and held UNM to just one field goal in the last 5:17.

"I feel awful and I don't care how tough these conference games are on the road because this place was not sold out and with all due respect to the University of Utah, this was not a tough place to play," UNM coach Fran Fraschilla said during his postgame radio show. "They've got a solid team, but we had a chance to steal a win here and we didn't do it. We just didn't do it."

Travis Spivey scored 12 points and Nate Althoff added 11 as the Utes (13-9 overall, 5-3 Mountain West Conference) shot 54 percent to overcome connecting on just 22-of-36 from the line.

"You expect they're other guards to score, but Spivey normally couldn't hit the water from the edge of a dock lit us up for 12 points because of the terrible defense we played," Fraschilla said. "It was like a game of hourse out there and it was painfully clear that our team played horrible defense and is not mentally tough enough right now to win on the road. I blame myself, I blame the other coaches and I blame the players."

Ruben Douglas had 20 points for the Lobos (13-7, 3-4), who lost for the 12th straight time in Salt Lake City. Wayland White scored 14 and Eric Chatfield had 13.

"Ruben played well and is really developing into a better player," Fraschilla said. "We had some sophomores on the floor playing well. This team went out there tonight and helped us out of a shooting slump, but we sort of just played loose and hung around the perimeter. Last year we played tough, hard-nosed defense. This year, it just wasn't there. It's great if your shots are falling, but you can't win without defense."

The Lobos shot one-4-11 in the last five minutes and have now lost four consecutive road games for the first time since the 1994-95 season.

"I know our fans are PO'ed that we lost a game we should have won, and I think they should be," Fraschilla said. "But, secondly, this was not a moral victory. We come up here to win, and I'll take the heat because I know where our program needs to be and where it will be."

The Utes, bolstered by the early return of Chris Burgess from an ankle injury, outrebounded UNM 23-11 in the second half and have now outrebounded opponents in 53 of their last 55 conference games.

Utah used a four-point play to cap a 10-3 run and take a 71-64 lead with 3:55 to play. Althoff scored on a power move and was fouled. He missed but Johnsen rebounded and scored in the lane.

Johnsen, who started for the first time since Dec. 9, scored the first six points of the second half and Utah moved out to a 49-42 advantage. But the Lobos rallied and tied the game at 54 and again at 61 behind Douglas's shooting.

The game was tied 39-39 at halftime as the teams combined for 10 3-pointers. UNM shot 60 percent in the period and made five of seven shots from beyond the arc.