<font color="red"><ib>Web Exclusive:</font> Men's basketball team comes up short in Las Vegas, loses 69-65 to BYU

LAS VEGAS, Nev. - Brigham Young University center Mekeli Wesley has run roughshod over the UNM men’s basketball team this year, scoring 46 points in two regular-season meetings. Saturday night he owned the Lobos again, and he and his fellow Cougars are owners of their first NCAA tournament bid since 1995.

Wesley scored 30 points on 11-of-12 shooting to lead BYU (24-8) to a 69-65 victory over UNM (19-12) in Saturday’s Mountain West Conference championship game. Wesley also hit seven-of-eight free throws on the night and grabbed eight rebounds, showing why he was voted the conference’s player of the year.

“We tried single coverage, double-teaming - we tried different formations,” UNM senior Brian Smith said. “He is the best player in the league, and tonight he showed why.”

While BYU has its NCAA dance ticket punched, UNM awaits its post-season fate.

The NIT is likely to call, but participating teams won’t be notified until after tomorrow’s NCAA selections are completed.

“Right now it’s not on our minds,” UNM head coach Fran Fraschilla said. “Hopefully, we’ll know something tomorrow night. I’m disappointed for Wayland and Brian.”

Going into Saturday’s game, Fraschilla said the Lobos would have to keep at least one of BYUs high-scoring seniors - Wesley, Terrell Lyday and Trent Whiting - under wraps. UNM held Lyday and Whiting to 15 and 11 points, respectively, but Wesley’s presence proved too tough for UNM to overcome.

With BYU up 12-8 in the first half, Wesley hit a 3-pointer with the shot clock running out to increase the Cougars’ lead. The Lobos rallied by holding BYU without a field goal for four minutes, and guard Ruben Douglas’ three gave the team an 18-15 lead. But the Cougars roared back for 30-25 lead before Whiting hit a 3-pointer at the end of the half to give BYU a six-point cushion at 33-26.

In the second half BYU took its biggest lead at 42-31 after Wesley hit a basket, was fouled by Dennehy and made the bonus free throw. But again, UNM would close the gap.

Douglas sank two free throws, bringing the Lobos to within 53-51 with more than five minutes to play. UNM kept chipping away every time BYU built its lead, which reached 64-57 with less than three minutes left. But then a Douglas three and two free throws by Brian Smith pulled the Lobos within two points.

Point guard Marlon Parmer’s 3-pointer with 18.9 seconds to play closed the lead to 66-65. Then Wesley - who was named Tournament MVP after the game - missed one of two free throws with 17.5 seconds left for a 67-65 lead. Parmer brought the ball upcourt on UNM’s possession and launched a three from the left-center of the top of the key, but it missed the mark.

“Marlon’s shot looked like it was good,” Fraschilla said. “He’s made some phenomenal plays all season.”

The Lobos outrebounded the Cougars 36-23 on the night, led by Dennehy’ 10. White fouled out of the game but scored 11 points and had UNM’s three blocks. Dennehy guarded Wesley for the night, but Fraschilla said he was no match for the big man.

“He’s a fifth-year senior; 25 years old, being guarded by a 19-year-old freshman,” Fraschilla said. “The good thing about it is Wesley will be playing in the NBA or overseas somewhere next year and Patrick will be a sophomore."

The Cougars continued its tournament-hot shooting with a 57.1 percent mark from the field, compared to UNM’s 39.7 percent. Parmer and Douglas led UNM scorers with 14 each. Wesley, Whiting, White and Parmer were all named to the all-tournament team.

The University of Wyoming’s Josh Davis was the fifth member of the team, with Wesley earning MVP honors.