Outkast stirs up the funk

Duo pumps Convention Center crowd up, then thrives off its energy

Soaring since the release of the new, now 15 million-plus copies sold album Stankonia, Outkast took Wednesday night's Convention Center crowd to the place which all funky things come from.

With a stage that made "Star Wars" look mediocre, band members Andre "Dre" Benjamin and Antwan "Big Boi" Patton brought a whole new meaning to thriving off of an audience's energy.

The journey to Stankonia began with "Gasoline Dreams," a song from the album, which is full of energy and deconstructs the American dream to the point that it needs to be defended by Johnnie Cochran. The crowd was in full effect from that point on, and Outkast went into its repertoire of the songs "ATLiens," "Southernplayalisticcadillacmusic" and the radio hit "Rosa Parks."

Though the crowd was rambunctious, Dre and Big Boi pushed for more and got it when they dropped "Bombs Over Baghdad" on the crowd. Big Boi dressed up as Tony Gwynn, an outfielder for the San Diego Padres, while Dre dressed as Velvet Jones of the old "Saturday Night Live" skits featuring Eddie Murphy. They orbited through space with a vivacious version of "So Fresh, So Clean" that left me feeling fresh and clean amid the smoky skies of the Convention Center.

But things did not end there. Next was "Ms. Jackson," a tribute to mothers and a song that is hard not to hear these days. Following, Outkast played songs from its three previous albums Southernplayalisticcadillacmusic, ATLiens and Aquemini. Dre and Big Bio even spouted out their first hit "Player's Ball," which brought roars from fans who have followed the group since day one, and "Wheelz of Steel" struck a nerve with the audience.

The concert wasn't cheap - $36 a ticket - but it was well worth the cost. True Outkast fans who were at the show received all that could be given by the duo.

If you have not heard of Outkast, then leave your shed out in the boonies and go to the place from which all funky things come.