Scribendi hits on realism theme

The annual creative writing and arts magazine showcases work from UNM and the Southwest

The 2001 edition of Scribendi successfully displays some of UNM's finest writers as well as work written by regional artists.

The creative writing and arts magazine, which is published annually by members of the "Making A Magazine" class taught by Leslie Donovan through the UNM Honors Program, not only has a modern and polished look but also showcases several talented students in the areas of poetry, prose, essays, photography and visual art.

The local, UNM flavor peppers the pages beautifully, especially with writers such as Jessica Pomerantz and Ryan Medalie and photographer Hannah Vaughn.

Pomerantz's two submissions, a short poem titled "How To Win Friends and Influence People Through Spastic Violence," and a prose piece that won the Staff Choice Award called "A Really Deep Pore Cleanser is Hard to Find," grace the pages with a gritty realism that helps set the tone for the entire magazine.

With simple phrases such as "Filth was what it was. Dirt. Stench," and "These people are dirt-producing dirt," she captures the reader's attention and imagination. Pomerantz's wit combines with obsessive undertones resulting in a deeply evocative style that tantalizes and disturbs.

Another featured writer with a disturbing style is Ryan Medalie, a UNM English major. His first published effort, a prose piece called "Local Cuisine," is a story about a reporter interviewing the owner of a diner called Hit and Run that serves cat, dog, coyote and horse meat.

A shuddering topic, Medalie displays true talent through his simple style and effective use of elements of disgust. Medalie shows a promising future in writing.

Photographer and UNM student Hannah Vaughn's two photos, "La Rue" and "Untitled," display a unique perspective on life. Following with the magazine's unintentional theme of coarse realism and stark beauty, Vaughn's images capture the imagination.

"La Rue," which captures Vaughn's sense of wonder at the insane, portrays a picture of a half-naked woman standing elegantly in the middle of a busy street. Her pictures show a maturity and understanding of realism and fantasy.

Scribendi, which also solicits work from more than 220 Western Regional Honors Council schools, has a wonderful prose piece by Shari Tiedens, a University of Arizona anthropology major. Tiedens' story, "The Trial," is a sad and graceful story set in the 17th century during the time of the Salem witch trials and is about a woman who is hunted down and hung simply for possessing the power to heal.

Tiedens confronts the Puritans' hypocrisy when they kill a human being who merely helps others in need and compares it to the crucifixion of their own demi-god Jesus Christ. She addresses the issue astutely and sadly, and ends up with a wonderful story about the destruction and preservation of faith.

Scribendi also features the work of UNM writers Esther Griego, Ben Tucker, Adrienne Scott Warner, Jennifer Mason, Justin Smith, Leeanna Torres and Hajra Malik.

Copies of Scribendi are available at the University Honors Program, room 21 in the basement of the Student Health Center. The magazine is free, but donations of $5 or $10 are encouraged.