Techno-metal is `Disturbed'

New generation of hardcore bands play Albuquerque

A new movement of hardcore techno-metal will invade the Albuquerque Convention Center, 401 Second St. N.W., Saturday at 7 p.m.

Spineshank, Nothingface and Mudvayne will provide a veritable feast of thrasher rock for starved metalheads when they open up for Disturbed, the new addition to the heavy metal royal family.

Joining the prestigious ranks of a newly emerging generation of techno-metal bands such as Static-X, Slipknot and Sevendust that rule alternative and rock radio stations, Disturbed has carved out its own little innovative piece of the electronic metal cake.

The Chicago-based band's lineup, which includes lead singer Dave Draiman, guitarist Dan Donegan, bassist Fuzz and drummer Mike Wengren, blasted onto the Albuquerque radio scene in early 2000. Disturbed and similar bands helped pick up where the hard rock scene died off in the mid- to late-'90s with the disappearance of bands such as Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, Nine Inch Nails and Pantera.

It wasn't until early 2000, when people began to forget the so-called "antichrist" presence of Marilyn Manson, Korn started getting way too old and Limp Bizkit entered into the land of lame, that bands such as Linkin Park and Staind began making major radio statements.

With the release of its first album, The Sickness, in 2000, Disturbed crashed into the music scene just in time to cash in on the glory.

Though each band in the new techno-metal wave pays homage to classic bands such as Tool and Pantera, the influence of metal gods Metallica stands out on The Sickness. Disturbed's techno riffs scream between massive drum and guitar beats, giving the songs a fascinating, no-holds-barred wailing attack that's reminiscent of the band's musical distant cousin Static-X.

Disturbed's current single, "Voices," emphasizes inventive electronic thrasher beats and tweaked-out lyrics such as, "I can hear the voices but I don't want to listen/Strap me down and tell me I'll be all right/I can feel the subliminal need to be one/with the voice and make everything go."

Following in Disturbed's footsteps is show opener Spineshank, which slammed its way onto the airwaves with the single "New Disease" featured on the "3,000 Miles to Graceland" movie soundtrack. The Los Angeles band's second album, The Height of Callousness, is full of aggressive techno style and guitar riffs that'll blow the mind of any metal fan.

The song "Play God" not only boils with massive guitar and bass riffs, but provides some angry poetry to the mix with the lyrics: "Fed on my fragile mind/Still I stood up on my broken knees/'Cause everything that you tool/Gave me immunity to your disease/Another life is torn?"

Other songs that stand out on The Height of Callousness, are "Synthetic," "(Can't Be) Fixed" and "Asthmatic." Spineshank consists of Jonny Santos on vocals, Souren "Mike" Sarkisyan on guitar, Rob Garcia on bass and Tommy Decker on drums and electronics.

Also opening for Disturbed is the Baltimore band Nothingface and Illinois-based band Mudvayne.

For more information on Disturbed, visit the Web site at www.disturbed1.com., and Check out Spineshank at www.spineshank.com Tickets for Saturday's show can be purchased through Ticketmaster for $23 over the phone at 883-7800, at all Smith's grocery store locations and at the Convention Center door.