Lobo accused of battery

Former student claims domestic violence

A UNM football player has been accused of battery by a former female student.

Sophomore Amanda Rosenbaum was granted an order of protection Wednesday in District Court against junior defensive back Brandon Payne stemming from two incidents in February, one that resulted in criminal charges. Payne was a regular contributor for the Lobos last fall, starting nine games and playing in all 13.

The order states that domestic abuse occurred, and Payne must not come within 100 yards of Rosenbaum or contact her in any way. She said she has withdrawn from school and is returning to her home in South Dakota.

"I am having to leave this school just because I fear for my safety," Rosenbaum said.

Payne's attorney, Rudy Chavez, said Rosenbaum was out of control.

"Frankly, she's just out to ruin Brandon," Chavez said. "I assure you that Rosenbaum has very little credibility. I'm not saying that Brandon is faultless and blameless, but Brandon has never been in trouble. He's never had bad grades. There is not one single person who doesn't speak highly of Brandon Payne except Amanda Rosenbaum. It's really a disservice to women who actually need the shield of domestic violence law."

Chavez said Payne was given a six-month continuance on the case, which means if there are no further incidents and Payne gets counseling, the case will be dropped, and he will not be a convicted.

UNM head football coach Rocky Long said he and his staff are aware of the situation.

"There has already been disciplinary action taken," Long said. "It is continuing as we speak."

Long declined to specify what actions have been taken against Payne.

"That's nobody's business but ours," Long said.

UNM Dean of Students Randy Boeglin said he has received the police reports and is in the process of reviewing the charges.

"When a report is received, we review it and decide whether code of conduct files will be charged," Boeglin said. " We find whether the student is responsible. If the student is found responsible, sanctions can vary from a warning to suspension or expulsion from the institution."

Rosenbaum said she and Payne dated for about 10, months and she had seen signs of violence previously but didn't believe it was serious enough to report.

"He was abusive before, but I never reported it," Rosenbaum said. "He head-butted me, threw me against the wall and kicked my car. But the first time I reported it, it happened in the Redondo Village Apartments. He grabbed me, and this guy came running out and said he called the police and then Brandon left."

UNM Police were called to Redondo Village at about 7:30 p.m. on Feb. 8. The police report states Rosenbaum said Payne grabbed her arm and sweatshirt and that Rosenbaum was afraid he was going to hit her. The report also states there were no visible bruises, scratches or torn clothing. Payne was then arrested by UNMPD after leaving the scene and taken to Bernalillo County Metropolitan Detention Center.

"When he left, he told me to walk in front of his car so 'I could run your stupid ass over,'" Rosenbaum said. "Then on Feb. 14, he called me like 15 times in 40 minutes, and it scared me, so I called Verizon, and then I called the police. They said they were going to get a subpoena to get his phone records, but he finally admitted it."

On Feb. 18, a similar incident occurred according to Rosenbaum and a police report. The report states UNMPD was called to Johnson Center at about 7:30 p.m. in regards to a call advising that Payne had confronted Rosenbaum and grabbed her. Rosenbaum said she and a friend went to Johnson Center to watch a basketball game and meet Payne to give him some pictures.

"After the game, I walked up to him, and I gave him the pictures, and he forced me into a corner," Rosenbaum said. "I started to walk away, because he started to yell at my friend, and then he grabbed me, and I couldn't get away. We walked into the women's locker room, and he proceeded to follow us in there, and then my friend picked up the emergency phone, and the police escorted us home."

Rosenbaum also said Payne threw the pictures she brought him at her face in a violent manner. The report states that at that time Rosenbaum was advised to seek an order of protection.

Payne refused to comment Thursday on the incidents.