MTV picks UNM freshman

For one UNM student, the quest for fresh breath may just turn into the vacation of a lifetime.

Freshman Erin Muffoletto said she bought a pack of Icebreakers gum recently that advertised an MTV contest for Spring Break 2004. Muffoletto, a political science major, said she decided "what the heck," filled out the online entry form, uploaded a photo of herself to MTV's Web site and forgot about it.

That is until Friday when the music television giant called to notify her that she is one of 30 semi-finalists to appear on the upcoming show out of thousands of entries.

"I just thought OK, it's just another contest," she said. "When they called I was surprised. I was just like, 'What?'"

Muffoletto said the most difficult part was uploading the picture knowing the contest was based solely on physical appearance. She said the photo she submitted was her senior picture from high school.

Now that she has made the semi-finals of the Icebreakers "Be on MTV Spring Break" contest, Muffoletto said the judging really begins.

"They're supposed to post all the photos this week on their Web site," she said.

Web surfers can go to www.mtv.com to vote for who they think, based on looks, should be the male and female winner of an all- expenses-paid trip to MTV's Spring Break locations in Cancun, Miami or Jamaica. The grand-prize winners receive round-trip air transportation for themselves and a guest and three nights hotel accommodations, worth an estimated $4,500. Winners will also meet with an MTV casting agent. Voting ends on Feb. 28.

Muffoletto said reaction from her peers has been one of surprise and support, but some family members have been a bit skeptical.

"My mom told my aunt and my aunt was like 'Do you really want her to go on spring break?'" she said. "But I've never been out of the country before so I think this is a great opportunity."

Muffoletto, who is in the Phi Alpha Delta law fraternity and volunteers at the Newman Center in her spare time, said she will wait patiently to hear from MTV but will not be terribly disappointed if she doesn't make it.

"It's just a really good opportunity and I'm happy to have made it this far," she said.