UNM escapes steep state-funding cuts

UNM will see about $11.7 million in state cutbacks, but student services have been spared, said Marc Saavedra, UNM director of Government and Community Relations.

The $11.7 million is a 3.5 percent cut in state appropriations to UNM.

This is a victory for the University, Saavedra said, because original forecasts were for a 5 percent to 7 percent cut, and other states' universities are facing between 10 and 20 percent cuts in appropriations.

The Legislative Finance Committee had recommended $11.8 million in cuts to UNM, but the University presented a proposal for an $11.7 million cut that would also allow flexibility on where the money would be spent, Saavedra said.

UNM proposed to put $1.3 million toward funding student ethnic centers, graduate research and other student services.

Government and Community Relations also asked for about $800,000 for teaching facilities and maintenance and utility expenses.

Saavedra said one of his key lobbying strategies was to present data on how the allocations would help UNM students.

"We didn't overstep our boundaries. We were aggressive on getting information showing the impact of these cuts. We educated legislators," he said. "We mobilized. I have to say this was a huge group effort.. I think it's important for people to realize that when we come together on things, we can make a huge impact."

Saavedra said the cut in Instruction and General funds is made up of at least 75 percent cuts in the general area, as opposed to instructional.

"The Legislative Finance Committee was following a national trend of lowering administrative spending. That's why they didn't cut the instruction funds as much they cut the general," he said.

The state budget was finalized when the legislative session ended Friday. Gov. Bill Richardson has 20 days to sign the appropriation act, or House Bill 2.

In recent months, Saavedra heard UNM would get deeper cuts than other schools in the state. To make the cuts proportionate, Saavedra said he and other University and student organizations

redoubled their lobbying efforts and were able to improve the allocations to UNM.

"This session, this University came together," Saavedra said. "No matter what else was going on with the Faculty Senate, Staff Council, the student organizations, the special project groups - they all worked with me, and we had a very good strategy at how we approached it."

The Lottery Scholarship, work-study funding and the free city bus pass system for students were not affected by the cutbacks, Saavedra said.

However, a 2.5 percent tuition credit was approved this legislative session, and it will be applied to all higher education institutions in the state. Generally, a higher tuition credit at the state level translates to a higher tuition at universities.

"This is just a starting point for what the tuition increase will be. It will be discussed during UNM's budget hearing process," Saavedra said.

The budget summit will be held April 9.

The Legislature approved an 8 percent credit toward out of state tuition, which is estimated to rise because several surrounding states are not admitting students. Arizona and California are making much deeper cuts in their education budgets, Saavedra said, and this means there could be an influx of students from out of state.

One campus expansion project was approved to accommodate more students: Bill 354 was unanimously passed in the House and the Senate, authorizing UNM to move forward with construction of the Rio Rancho branch campus.

Legislators are likely to reconvene in a special session to discuss additional matters, including the reappointment of Regent Jamie Koch.