Web site tracks budget process

The UNM community can now keep up with developments in the state budgeting process through a Web site launched by the University.

UNM's Budget Impact committee created the site

Unm.edu/budgetimpact last week. The site features messages from President David Schmidly about UNM finances and will publish communications from the Roundhouse as information on allocations becomes available.

The site is also designed to get input from the UNM community.

The committee set up an interactive forum on the site in hopes of improving communication between the administration and campus constituents, said CinnamonĖ‡Blair, University marketing director.

She said the Water Cooler feature was established as a way to confirm or dispel rumors that circulate on campus.

"We wanted to create a microsite with a link from the home page on all budget impact information and communication," she said. "It's just one area where if people hear a rumor, they can ask about it, and we as a collective marketing and communication team can find a definitive answer to those rumors or questions."

There are also sections on the Web site where people can make suggestions on how the University can save money or even generate revenue, Blair said.

Also, if departments are proud of something they are doing to cut costs, they can share those stories on the "Are You Part of the Solution?" page.

Faculty Senate President Howard Snell said the site's forum could be helpful but only if the input is taken seriously. He said it would be a sign of success if faculty opinions play a role in financial decision making.

"The Faculty Handbook defines a role for the faculty in managing the University, and most faculty concerns right now are to regain that role, and so faculty is looking for opportunities to provide influence that actually influence decisions," he said. "If this system allows faculty to make comments that influence the eventual decisions made by the administration, then I think it's a positive step forward and a very good idea."

Staff Council President Loyola Chastain has been involved in conflict with the University administration over campus rumors before.

At December's forum on University finances, Chastain asked Schmidly about a rumor concerning furloughs for UNM employees.

"Then at the next regents meeting, the occurrence was alluded to and it was said out loud that there should not be any rumor-mongering, and also that I was very irresponsible for bringing that up," she said.

Chastain said that it was not irresponsible but necessary to find out whether the rumor was true.

Chastain was cautious in her approval of the new Web site. She said it would be useful as long as there aren't negative consequences for participating.

"I think it will be effective if it's a safe place for people to bring things up, and there are no repercussions for doing so, but not if it's a place where someone will identify a person as a troublemaker and they will be hassled for speaking out," she said.