Gov. Bill Richardson answers student questions about Cuba and U.S. relations after his speech in Dane Smith Hall on Tuesday. Richardson said he supports lifting the embargo but not unconditionally.

Lifting the trade embargo

Gov. Bill Richardson got major applause early in his speech at Dane Smith Hall yesterday.

“Full disclosure: I am for getting rid of the embargo,” he said.

However, Richardson said he didn’t want to get rid of the U.S. trade embargo against Cuba unconditionally, which prevents goods from being imported to the U.S. from Cuba. Richardson said he traveled to Cuba and met with officials there to discuss the controversial policy.

“I want to provoke discussion,” he said. “I want some of you to get a little pissed off at me.”

Richardson said there were some things that both countries should do in order to improve their relationship. He said the U.S. should make it easier for American companies to export goods to Cuba, and travel restrictions should be loosened for Americans who want to travel to Cuba.

“We need to expand categories of travel for Americans to go to Cuba,” he said. “In other words, let anyone go to Cuba.”

Only Cuban-Americans can return to Cuba to visit their families, Richardson said.
Richardson said that, in return, Cuba should lessen travel restrictions for their own citizens and release Cuban political prisoners being held in the country. Overall, Richardson said Cuba should be more democratic.

“I want some things in return, like a good negotiator,” he said.

The governor said removing the trade embargo on Cuba would have positive effects on America’s standing in the rest of the world.

“If we change our policy and get rid of the embargo … our status in Latin America gets stronger,” he said.

Congress has the power to make the final decision about removing the trade embargo, because of the Helms-Burton Act, which places the authority to remove the embargo solely with Congress, he said.

Richardson said that before getting rid of the embargo, the U.S. should take steps to promote human rights in Cuba. He said President Obama can pass humanitarian resolutions by executive order, and then it would be easier for Obama to pass a resolution through Congress to lift the embargo.

“The Congress has been a barrier to removing the embargo,” he said. “You want to get something done, you have to use incremental steps that are realistic.”

President Obama recently lifted travel restrictions on Cuban-Americans who want to travel to Cuba, which has improved the Cuban people’s view of America,
Richardson said.

“Cubans were happy with Obama lifting the travel restrictions,” he said. “Under Bush, the vibes were not good.”

The governor also spoke about Cuba’s history and culture. He introduced Stuart Ashland, secretary of Cultural Affairs for New Mexico.

Ashland said he traveled to Mexico to secure Cuban artwork for an art exhibit at the Hispanic Cultural Center.

Ashland said the American people should learn more about Cuba’s artistic and musical traditions to improve understanding between the two countries.

“Cubans know everything about American culture,” he said. “If you say ‘Bob Dylan,’ they’ll sing the songs to you.”

Susan Tiano, director of the Latin American and Iberian Institute at UNM, said the institute is planning more events related to Cuba.
“We want to get a Cuban art program together,” said Tiano, co-organizer of Richardson’s visit. “Just stay tuned, because we’re going to have some really exciting things happening.”