Center keeps student body healthy

Welcome to the new school year! I expect you have been busy settling into your dorm or new apartment, working out your schedule, finding all your classes and figuring out parking. Whew! Well done. Now maybe you can give a minute’s thought to your health.
I hope you stay well and healthy all year, but just in case, did you know you can get health care right here on campus? Student Health and Counseling (SHAC) is located across the mall to the east of the SUB. Our goal is to help you stay healthy and in school.
Any registered student can use SHAC services. You can be a part-time or a full-time student, with or without health insurance. Here is what we offer:

Medical Care: 505-277-3136
From sprained ankles and strep throats to chronic diseases like diabetes, we see it all. We have physicians, physician assistants, nurse practitioners and nurses, as well as specialists in women’s health, men’s health, podiatry, dermatology, surgery and allergy. We have lab and X-ray on site, and we accept several insurance plans. You can get your physical exams, checkups and PAP smears here.
Call for an appointment, or just come on in and ask for help.

Counseling: 505-277-4537
Maybe you had a painful breakup last night and you’re feeling despondent, even thinking about leaving school or doing something more drastic. Come to Counseling Services for an urgent walk-in visit the same day.
Or if it is not an emergency, but you have anxiety, depression, relationship issues or school stress, make an appointment with one of our therapists. They can help you with these and other mental health issues and refer you to our psychiatrist if necessary. Best of all, the first two visits are free.

Pharmacy: 505-277-6307
You caught a nasty cold on the plane or you forgot to pack your bottle of aspirin. Head upstairs to our pharmacy. We have everything from cold pills to condoms and even some herbal remedies. We can also fill a prescription from any doctor.

Physical Therapy and Massage Therapy: 505-277-3136
Your back and legs hurt from carrying all those books around, and your neck is sore after that fender bender in the G-lot. Get a massage or an appointment in physical therapy.
Health Education: 505-277-7947
Want to quit smoking, lose weight or improve your diet? Need info on sexuality issues? Call or stop by SHAC 242.

Immunizations: 505-277-7925
Not sure if you’re up to date, or want a flu shot? Call with immunization questions or come in to get updated.

Travel Health: 505-277-3136
Planning to study abroad? You might need some special immunizations and health information. Make your appointment at least two months before departure time.

Health Insurance. 505-277-7943. We offer a policy just for students. Read more at www.Macori/UNM. Deadline to sign up is Sept. 13.

This is a weekly health column largely devoted to answering reader questions. What do you want to know? Submit questions to me via email (pspencer@unm.edu) or in my question box in the SHAC lobby. Your privacy will be respected. Names and email addresses will not be published.