8109_feature2f.jpg
Susan Shivers, hugs her son after the UNM vs TCU game, on Nov 27

Mum’s the word in Locksley’s potential departure

In keeping with an established trend, UNM officials continue to insist that, for now, Mike Locksley is the UNM football team’s head coach, pending a long-talked-about, end-of-the-season evaluation.

UNM Sports Information Director Frank Mercogliano said late Sunday night that he couldn’t say whether Locksley would return to coach in 2011.
“That’s a Paul Krebs question,” he said in a text message to the Daily Lobo. “I don’t make those decisions.”

As of Sunday, Athletics Director Paul Krebs hadn’t made that decision either — or at least hadn’t announced his intentions. Krebs didn’t return a phone call late Sunday, but he has routinely said that Locksley would be evaluated at the end of the season.

To double check, the Daily Lobo requested Oct. 13 any and all documents, memos, letters, notes, e-mails, formal and informal buyout offers and requests about the termination and possible termination of Locksley’s contract. The Daily Lobo also requested e-mails sent to Krebs by Lobo boosters, club member alumni, fans and donors about a possible buyout; e-mails sent by President Schmidly and Interim University Counsel Lee Peifer; and back-and-forth e-mails between Locksley and assistant coaches George Barlow, Cheston Blackshear, Darrell Dickey, Mike Degory and Doug Mallory.

The University responded Oct. 27 by saying it was “in possession of no documents responsive to your request except those withheld at the direction of interim University Counsel pursuant to attorney-client privilege.”

When contacted Oct. 27, Anne Murray, custodian of public record, wouldn’t say whether the University offered Locksley a buyout. She also refused to say whether a buyout proposal existed.

The Albuquerque Journal reported earlier that the University would have to pay Locksley $1.46 million to part ways with him at the end of the season. In his short, tumultuous UNM career, Locksley is 2-22 overall, and the Lobos lost 10 games by double-digit margins this year. To boot, Locksley was involved in two off-the-field incidents. Just months into his coaching career, a former administrative assistant accused Locksley of sexual harassment. Then in November 2009, Locksley allegedly punched and choked former assistant coach J.B. Gerald. Gerald has since filed a lawsuit naming Locksley, Krebs and the University as defendants.

In the face of all the uncertainty, Locksley said at his postgame news conference Saturday that he intended to make necessary changes to turn the program around. He didn’t rule out dismissing coaches, but sounded secure that he would return to coach the Lobos next season.

“They’ll be some tough decisions that have to be made, but I’m willing to make the decisions that need to be made to move this program forward, whether it be personnel, whether it be coaching staff,” he said.