Open Access means no more waiting around

You might have noticed that things are a little different at Student Health and Counseling (SHAC) this year.
We have implemented a new system called Open Access. Here is how it works:

You can still call 277-3136 for appointments with your favorite provider. We recommend that you do that for non-urgent matters and follow-up care for long-term health issues, but if you are sick or hurt today, just come in.

If you are severely ill or badly hurt, you will be seen right away in our ASAP clinic. That is where we sew up wounds, splint sprains, give intravenous fluids and asthma treatments and take care of other emergencies.

If you have a cold or other less urgent problem, you will be given an appointment time for the same day. This means you don’t have to sit in the lobby until your turn comes up, like in our old walk-in system.

You can go off to class or lunch and come back at a designated time, and be seen promptly by one of our providers. No more waiting around in crowds of coughing people.

The earlier you come in to get your same-day appointment, the better, since our appointments tend to fill up by the end of the day. We open at 8 a.m. every day, except Tuesdays when we open at 9 a.m. In the worst case scenario, if you come in late in the day, you might get routed to an appointment slot for the next day.

But hey, where else in town can you get health care within 24 hours of presenting yourself at the door, without waiting for hours on end in an ER or urgent care center?

We are still working out a few kinks, but soon you will also have the option to make a same-day appointment on the phone. Stay tuned.
We’re excited about our Open Access system. We have already noticed an improvement in efficiency and patient flow. Please let us know what you think. Call 277-3136 with questions.

Peggy Spencer, MD, has been a UNM student health physician for 17 years. Drop your questions in her box in the lobby of Student Health and Counseling, or e-mail her at pspencer@unm.edu. All questions will be considered, and all questioners will remain anonymous. This column has general health information only and cannot replace a visit to a health care provider.