Don’t let peers become your boss

I’ve always been confident and outspoken, but recently, instead of speaking in class, I sunk down in my chair.

I was afraid to state my opinion for fear of ridicule, and afraid to answer questions for fear of being wrong. I’ve become a master of avoiding eye contact with my professors, who gaze with hopeful eyes over the classroom, soliciting responses.

“Which strategy should I use today?” I’d ask myself. The “pretend I’m furiously finishing up the notes from the last point the professor made” tactic usually works. But I used that last time. What about the “reaching into my bag with my head down aimlessly fondling the loose bits of tobacco at the bottom” approach?

Or should I just squint my eyes, looking past her to the board, and pretend to read the small text on the PowerPoint slide? Those strategies have worked for me in the past and often saved me from potential embarrassment.

The weird thing about it is I usually know the answers. Nine times out of 10, I find myself regretting not answering. I have interesting and pertinent opinions. I do the readings, and I take excessive (some call them obsessive) notes.

So what’s my problem? And how do I fix it? Why did I let the class know-it-all (you know, the woman who answers every question before anyone else can get a word in) take credit again?

It took till this semester for me to realize that the classroom is just a microcosm of what we have all been preparing for four years: the office, the boardroom, the lab, the eight-way video conference call.

And your classmates? They are your future coworkers, research partners, or, better yet, your competition! Once I realized that, I was less intimidated by my peers. I’m no longer am I afraid to state my mind in class, ask a question or expand on a thought.

I now relish shooting my hand up before the professor has completed his or her sentence. And you should, too.

Classes can be intimidating. Professors can be, too. Just remember, your professors are there to help you overcome fears. That’s what they get paid for.

Speaking up in class is just another way to practice and prepare for the next step: graduate school, competing for that research grant, vying for the top position at the glue-stick factory you’ve been eyeing.

I have newfound respect for the class know-it-alls. Sure they may be annoying (and steal everybody’s thunder), but most of them are going to be the ones giving real-world orders. So why not put yourself in the position to compete?