Hours of X-Files teach life lessons

Yesterday I read an article in the Guardian that exposed the FBI for destroying thousands of files in the 1940s, containing reports of alien spacecrafts (UFO’s) from all over the United States.

Well, technically it wasn’t an exposé, since the FBI has made this memo public (along with many others) in their online records database called the “The Vault.”

As an “X-Files” enthusiast and conspiracy theory fan, this caught my attention and reminded me of a conversation I had with my friend the day before wherein he noted that I tend to relate something to an episode of “The X-Files” at least once a week.

Despite the nerd-factor related to spending my nights watching episode after episode, as the now very popular theme song composed by Mark Snow lulled me to sleep, I’m confident that my time was not spent in vain.
And however annoying my references may be, I am certain that I have learned some very important life lessons, four of which I will share with you now:

Always be yourself: Fox Mulder was ostracized, poked fun at, shot at, bullied, led on wild goose chases and was even fired multiple times from his job. But he never strayed from himself, his character or his search for truth. He knew who he was and what he believed in, despite what others said or thought about him. This usually worked out to his advantage. With this strength of character, Mulder was able to easily solve cases.

Find your counterpart: Mulder was the conspiracy theorist, the free thinker, the crazy one. Scully, his partner, was a doctor, a scientist and rational thinker. But despite their differences, they complimented each other perfectly, playing off of each other’s strengths and weaknesses. Having a counterpart can be extremely important in helping you open your mind to other considerations. Remember, the simplest explanation is often the correct one. But the most far-fetched ridiculous explanation is often the correct one, too.

Find somebody who does this for you.

Trying to explain everything logically can sometimes find you an answer, but may often result in not being able to explain anything at all. Sometimes you just have to “go with it.” Find a balance between over-thinking things and under-thinking things.

The truth shall set you free: This is probably the most important lesson you can take away from “The X-Files.” Never stop searching for the truth. Whether it be uncovering the source of a rumor you heard in class, or a deeply-rooted, highly covered-up government conspiracy wherein the military is creating hybrid super soldiers. The truth will never fail you.

Oh yeah, and don’t forget to trust no one, that the government denies knowledge, that neighborhood grass monsters, bat people, genies, the flukeman, the jersey devil, and the chupacabra all exist.

Also, the origin of our species came from aliens who crashed onto earth in large metal spaceships, on which texts from all the major religions is written (in a Native American language that can only be translated by one guy… who died.)
I’d take it to heart.

Golinko is a UNM student and Daily Lobo designer.