The Weekly Free

Editor’s Note: The Daily Lobo is gearing up for Halloween! We scoured the Internet for a few fun things you can do to celebrate the holiday like a boss. Our findings include free events, lectures and even flu shots to keep you healthy for the rest of the semester. If you know of a free event, please send the info to hriley@unm.edu.

Flu shots
TODAY

If the idea of getting the flu makes you sick, you might be in luck. UNM’s Student Health and Counseling center offers free flu shots today from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. These will run out fast, so you probably want to show up early. The shot clinic will be set up in the SUB atrium, which is the bottom level of the SUB. This event is dedicated to the memory of former UNM student Raymond Plotkin, who died of the H1N1 virus.

Lecture on biking across the country
WEDNESDAY

REI hosts the family of five who packed themselves up and hopped on a bike — yes, ONE bike — and started their year-long journey from Kentucky to Alaska. Bill and Amarins Harrison used a five-seated tandem to transport themselves and their three children on their voyage.

They wrote a book about the experience entitled “A Pedouin Life: Stop and Smell the Artichokes” and will be selling and signing copies at REI after their presentation. Register for the presentation (there are still 23 seats available as of Monday afternoon) at rei.com. REI is at 1550 Mercantile Ave. The event starts at 6 p.m.

Zombie speaker
THURSDAY

If you are having apocalyptic thoughts of the undead variety, and you need some advice on how to survive, check out this lecture in the SUB’s Ballroom C at 7 p.m. It is hosted by Student Special Events and features Matt Mogk, founder of the Zombie Research Society.

According to Mogk’s website, he is the world’s number-one man for all things zombie and, according to the Lobo, mankind’s last and only hope. He has written books for both children and adults about recognizing zombies, as well as on other zombie-related topics.

Piano lesson
WHENEVER

Maybe you have always wanted to make some magic on the ivory keys, but didn’t know where to start and didn’t want to pay to find out if you liked it or not. Well, Craig Brown will help you change that. Brown offers potential students a free initial lesson to let them decide for themselves if his teaching methods are suitable. You can visit his website and find more information at brownspianostudios.com.

CRAIGSLIST

Do you have a business, but no doors? Of course you do. And you’re in luck, because someone posted an ad on Craigslist for two glass storefront doors. The doors are 35 and one-half inches in width and 83 and one-quarter inches in height.

Even if you don’t have a doorless commercial business (unlikely), you might have a door frame large enough for these beauties. I think double glass doors in a house would make a great design statement. Who needs privacy, anyway?