Senator remixes Katy Perry tune for meeting

ASUNM President Jaymie Roybal updated the senate on her proposed bike share program. She said the bike’s vendor will be B-Cycle, a company that runs a bike share program in Denver, and bike kiosks will be solar-powered.

The bikes are built to prevent students from stealing bike parts.

She said advertising space will be sold on the bikes and kiosks.

The plan is currently in its fund raising stage, with a goal of raising $250,000, which Roybal said would pay for seven kiosks, with 10 bikes each, for a total of 70 bikes.

Five kiosks are planned for main campus and two for north campus. The program will be free to UNM students faculty and staff with a valid Lobo ID, but Roybal said recurring program costs could be between $20,000 and $30,000.

Regent President Jack Fortner, father of ASUNM senator Suzanne Fortner, addressed the senate, offering advice, and giving his opinion of the proposed student recreation center.

Fortner encouraged the senators to maintain a professional demeanor, but at the same time not take themselves too seriously.

Suzanne, sang a version of Katy Perry’s “Firework” with lyrics rewritten to be ASUNM related. Suzanne’s performance received a standing ovation, after which her father said, “If you take yourself too seriously, nobody else will.”

Fortner said he thinks students need a new rec. center but don’t know how to fund it.

“I don’t know that the students are very excited about fees going up,” he said. “That might be one of the alternatives. There’s no question we have a need, but a question of whether people want to pay the piper for it.”

Interim Dean of Students Kim Kloeppel spoke to the senate about measure being taken to prevent students from being injured by skateboarders on campus. She said several meetings had been held on the issue and that meeting will continue.

Kloeppel said proposed solutions include designating dismount areas for bicycles and skateboards and perhaps hiring students with authority to police high traffic areas and talk to students.

Additionally, high skateboard traffic areas may be coated with a rough coating that would make it difficult for boarders to skate in the area.