The Weekly Free

The Daily Lobo wants to free you from paying for things. We have browsed the Internet in search of fun free things for you and your friends or family to do. If you know of a free event, email the information to hriley@unm.edu.

Stress management workshop
WEDNESDAY

UNM Student Health and Counseling center offers students great, free workshops. The workshop was a four-part series that started Nov. 2. Unfortunately, the first two have already passed, but there is no obligation to go to all four, so there’s no excuse not to get your stress under wraps. The workshops are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. If you are interested in attending, you must register online at shac.unm.edu or by calling 277-4537.

Garlic planting workshop
THURSDAY

UNM’s very own Lobo Gardens offers free gardening workshops each month. The month’s workshop is at the UNM Telehealth Garden at 1005 Columbia NE. The workshop starts at 2 p.m. For more information about the Lobo Gardens workshop series, visit unmlobogardens.wordpress.com/ . Also, it can’t hurt to have free vampire protection.

On that topic, the Urban Store is offering free workshops this Thursday and Saturday. The first covers the basics of composting, especially composting in winter. For info about the other workshops, visit urbanstoreon line.com . The Urban Store is at 3209 Silver Ave SE.

drugs and alcohol Workshop
THURSDAY

I don’t want to beat a dead horse, but here is another free workshop. This one is about your relationship with drugs and alcohol. Now before you dismiss it as another round of ‘just say no,’ think again. It’s advertised as a non-judgmental workshop where participants examine how drugs and alcohol can help or hurt their daily lives and emotions, and about the norms of behavioral change. You have to register online or by phone for this one, too. Visit shac.unm.edu or call 277-4537. The workshop is from 3 to 5 p.m.

CRAIGSLIST

You could pay $5 for a cup of coffee at a cafe, or snag a free 3-pound bag of whole coffee beans and other canned goods. The post on Craigslist was vague, specifying no address, so you will just have to contact them at the email address linked on the listing.

Also for free on Craigslist are Bird of Paradise plants. The ad states you have to dig them up yourself in Rio Rancho, so call ahead to make sure they’ve withstood the cold weather. If those don’t pan out, you could cheer yourself up with some free railroad ties. The ad states there are about 10 railroad ties located at the end of a cul-de-sac near Candelaria Road and Rio Grande Boulevard. For more information on any of these items, visit albuquerque.craigslist.org/zip/ .