The Weekly Free

The Daily Lobo knows you are so close to being done you can taste it. We came up with a few celebratory events and thingamabobs to help you celebrate your newfound freedom. If you know of a free event you can send the info to hriley@unm.edu

MONDAY: EAST OF EDITH POETRY OPEN MIC NIGHT

Vent your anger over that horrible chemistry grade during this open mic night at The Projects (3416 High St. N.E.). Although your poor grades are probably not the most poetic subject, anyone can sign up to speak. According to the website localpoetsguild.wordpress.com, you are allowed two poems with a four minute maximum, though it doesn’t specify whether or not the maximum applies to each poem or your total stage time. The event starts at 7 p.m.

THURSDAY: JIM SAGEL AND TEATRO PARAGUAS

Jim Sagel’s poems and stories about Espanola, New Mexico, are brought to life through four actors who speak in Spanish, English and Spanglish. Images will be projected behind them, depicting stories of mayordomos and the culture behind the low rider cars that are so prevalent in this area. The event is at the Albuquerque Museum of Art and Art History at 2000 Mountain Road N.W. and starts at 6:30 p.m.

Dec. 19: The Albuquerque Philharmonic Orchestra

What could be more relaxing than going to an orchestra performance, closing your eyes and giving thanks to sweet baby Jesus that you are done with finals? The sounds of Franz Schubert, Lee Actor and Niccolò Paganini will soothe your tired mind. The concert is on December 19 at Immanuel Presbyterian Church on 114 Carlisle Blvd. S.E. and starts at 7:30 p.m.

HOLIDAY MUSIC DOWNLOAD

Now you can get holiday songs stuck in your head … for free! This is Amazon’s gift to those of you who despise the overplayed pop holiday classics. The downloads range from the classics to records such as The New Sounds of Latin Music, Native American Flute Lullabies and The Irish Tenors singing “Hark, the Herald Angels Sing.” The deal is set up like an advent calendar — every day you get a new MP3 download. Take advantage of this deal by searching for “Amazon, 25 days of free holiday music” in an online search engine.

FOOD SAMPLES AT WHOLE FOODS

This deal happens every day, and you may already have taken advantage of it, but Whole Foods puts out free samples of food from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Samples include cheese, chips, wine, soup, soap, lotion, fruit and other products. The nearest Whole Foods to UNM is at 2103 Carlisle Blvd. N.E.

START A COMPOST PILE WITH USED COFFEE GROUNDS

Ask and thou shall receive, said the Starbucks barista. Mid-morning is the best time to ask ,because they start throwing the grounds away in the afternoon. Between grounds and all the leaves that have fallen off the trees, you have all the makings for rich soil. Compost piles, if done right, should produce a sweet-smelling soil. It requires work to maintain, so you might want to research how to best make compost in your area with whatever ingredients you have. Good compost makes a great gift for green-thumbed friends.

FREE GAMES ON STEAM

If you’re a PC gamer, you should know that between now and Christmas, Steam is giving away 10 free games of any cost to 10 people a day. The requirement is that you visit the site once a day to check out their daily specials. Some of those games are $50 apiece, so you can potentially score up to $500 worth of games by checking their site once daily. Registration on the Steam site is free. More information can be found at store.steampowered.com/

CRAIGSLIST

If any art students out there are frantically looking for interesting materials, someone in the Nob Hill area might be your savior. This post advertises two and a half 6-foot-tall broken mirror pieces. According to the ad, “That’s a lot of broken mirror.” Looking for a Christmas tree? There’s a 9-foot specimen for the taking. The only catch is that you have to cut it down. The tree is near Paseo del Norte and Eubank boulevards. The ad listed a phone number and requests that you call before you cut. For more info on these freebies, visit albuquerque.craigslist.org/zip/