chart2.jpg

ASUNM slates explain demographics

Impact for UNM Student Government and Students for Students are mostly young, Greek and campus residents

About half the members of each slate vying for ASUNM seats next year belong to fraternities and sororities, while only about four percent of the total undergraduate population is involved in Greek Life.

Sunny Liu, vice presidential candidate on the Students for Students slate, and Ashkii Hatathalie, presidential candidate on the Impact for UNM Student Government slate, were chosen by their respective slates to speak with the Daily Lobo to discuss the demographics of their slate as compared to the whole undergraduate population. The slates are competing for 10 senate seats in the April 11 elections, as well as the president and vice president positions.

Daily Lobo: Each slate has a much higher percentage than the general undergraduate population of students in fraternities and sororities.

Hatathalie said students involved in Greek Life are often the students who are most qualified to win senate seats.

“When you look at the types of students who are involved, you realize the people who have really great leadership positions are already affiliated with Greek organizations. I think it’s a testament to the leadership experience it’s been able to inspire,” he said.

Liu said all members on Students for Students involved in Greek Life are also involved in other student organizations and activities.

DL: Members of both the Impact and Students for Students slates are an average age of about 20, nearly four years younger than the average age of undergraduates, 24.1. None of the members from either slate have children.

Hatathalie said age should not be a factor when choosing whether to vote for a senator.

“The students who have the time, who don’t have full-time jobs, who don’t have children, are the younger students. (They) become more involved and more aware of the issues happening here at the University,” he said.

Liu said Students for Students supports both traditional and non-traditional students.

“Our team is very diverse and meets other constituencies from the international students program, university honors program (and others),” he said.

DL: Fifty percent of the Impact slate lives on campus, much higher than the UNM average of 12 percent and the Students for Students average of eight percent.

Hatathalie said this is an advantage, because members of his slate are more involved on campus.

“And students who live on campus are shown to be more involved,” he said. “It provides our slate with a holistic perspective to better understand how it is to live on and off campus.”

Liu said most of the members of his slate have lived on campus in the past, even though only one member currently does so.

“While only one member is currently living on campus, almost all members have lived on campus at one point. Additionally, we have three former, one current, and one pending Residence Life and Student Housing employees on the team.”