sigmachi.jpg
A memorial to Garrett Elders lies in front of the Sigma Chi fraternity house. Fraternity brothers say Elders took his own life several days ago. His body was discovered Tuesday night by fellow fraternity members.

Police investigate death of UNM student

UNM student and Sigma Chi fraternity member Garrett Elders was found dead in Sigma Chi Fraternity house Tuesday night. According to the police report, a fraternity member told police that Elders had killed himself.

According to police reports, fraternity members found Elders in his room hanging from a tie wrapped around his neck. Fraternity members had not seen Elders since a meeting Sunday.

Fraternity members told police they had smelled a foul odor in the building, but had had sewer and plumbing problems and believed the smell was coming from the sewer system. But they became concerned about Elders when he wasn’t seen for several days.

According to a police report, Joshua Gallegos, a fraternity member, told police they knocked on Elders’ room, where he lived alone, and hearing no answer, opened the door to find him dead.

The police report states UNM police officers arrived on scene late Tuesday night. Albuquerque Ambulance and the fire department arrived on scene shortly after and determined Elders had been deceased for some time and did not attempt to resuscitate. The Office of the Medical Investigator declared the death 12:59 a.m. on Wednesday.

After returning from spring break, Elders told fraternity members he was suffering from back pain and had received a prescription for the pain, according to police reports. Elders told Gallegos he was having trouble sleeping, and Gallegos told police he had seen Elders in the common area late at night in recent days prior to Sunday. Police contacted the victim’s mother, Rhonda Hill and she said her son had been having depression issues for some time.

Police are investigating the incident, and took the victim’s computer into custody in search of any notes written by Elders prior to his death.

Executive Director of Emerging Lobo Leaders Hannah Russell said Elders, who was a member of the organization, had hoped to serve in student government and made valuable contributions.

“Garrett was a great guy,” she said. “He was kind of soft spoken but he was also a great leader at the same time. Garrett was really special to everybody who was an Emerging Lobo Leader because, although he wasn’t very outspoken, he always made a big impact.”

Fellow fraternity member Lucas Peralta posted on Facebook praising Elders for the hard work he did as part of the fraternity.

“Garret Elders, you are one of the hardest working and most determined people I have ever met. You have not only served as inspiration for this chapter, you have embodied our Ritual in an unequaled manner. Rest in peace. Guard well. Godspeed.”

President of Sigma Chi Bennett Myers told the Daily Lobo the fraternity and its members will be praying for Elders and his family.

If you or someone you know is having suicidal thoughts or demonstrating suicidal behavior, call the Agora Crisis Center help-line at 505-277-3013. A representative will assist you in finding help.