2012 Election Voter Guide

by Alexandra Swanberg
This week’s installment of the 2012 Election Voter Guide is the second of two installments of the candidates for the state House of Representatives for the Albuquerque area. This week includes districts 17, 18, 24 and 68.

Edward Sandoval
Democratic candidate for state House of Representatives, district 17
Sandoval does not have a public Facebook page or a campaign website.
5016 12th St. N.W., Albuquerque, NM, 87107
(505) 344-8449
Sandoval is serving on the following legislative committees:
• Revenue Stabilization and Tax Policy Committee
• Legislative Finance Committee
• Military and Veterans’ Affairs Committee
• New Mexico Finance Authority Oversight Committee
• Taxation and Revenue Committee
• Voters and Elections Committee
Sandoval began serving in the Legislature in 1983. NMLegis.gov only lists the legislation he sponsored or co-sponsored since 1996, which includes 244 bills, of which 86 passed.
This year, he sponsored a bill to create the option for people to make a contribution to the Lottery Tuition Fund from their personal income taxes. The bill passed.
In 2009, he sponsored a bill that amended part of the state Constitution to allow for a college scholarship program dedicated to New Mexico military war veterans. The bill passed.
In 2008, he sponsored a bill that called for the increase of the Working Families Tax Credit to ten percent of the federal income tax credit that individuals are eligible for, according to the bill’s final wording, which passed.
In his online candidate profile on the Albuquerque Journal’s website, Sandoval responds that he supports increased spending with regard to the Affordable Care Act. “I support the state spending the dollars needed to expand Medicaid to provide care for our most vulnerable citizens. Feds would match up to 90 percent. N.M. would have the most to gain of all states.”
In regards to raising taxes to support general government spending and public schools, Sandoval states in his profile that he supports it, saying, “I have sponsored legislation to do just that. We need to bring fairness in our tax system to the middle income earner. The top rate could be negotiated to something less than the 8.2 percent.”
According to FollowTheMoney.org, Sandoval’s top campaign contributor is the New Mexico Building and Construction Trades Council, which accounts for $2,250, or 8.38 percent, of his total contributions. His second highest contributor is the New Mexico Realtors Association at 7.45 percent, followed by Anheuser-Busch at 4.84 percent, Associated Contractors of New Mexico at 2.98 percent and the Union Pacific Railroad at 2.79 percent.

Robert Cain
Republican candidate for state House of Representatives, district 17
Facebook.com/RobertDCain
RobCain.com
7816 Guadalupe Trail N.W., Albuquerque, NM, 87107
(505) 270-7775
Cain doesn’t have previous experience in the Legislature.
The issues Cain lists on his website are freedom, entrepreneurship and community. He does not elaborate on these issues; they are listed as bullet points.
In his Albuquerque Journal candidate profile, Cain was asked whether he supports increased spending with regard to the Affordable Care Act. Cain said, “I do not believe that the Affordable Care Act is Constitutional. I support state’s rights and believe that New Mexico can create a much better path on our own.”
When the Journal asked if he supports raising taxes to fund general government spending and public schools, he said, “End the Federal Income Tax and create a tax system designed around New Mexico.”
According to FollowTheMoney.org, Cain has two top contributors, each accounting for $500, or 15.53 percent of his total contributions: CEMCO Inc. and Deborah Maestas of Los Ranchos de Albuquerque. His third highest contributor is George Stribling of Albuquerque at 7.76 percent, followed by Lee Bernstein of Corrales at 7.76 percent and Deborah Rosen of Albuquerque at 6.21 percent.

Eloise Gift
Democratic candidate for state House of Representatives, district 68
Facebook.com/ElectEloiseGift
EloiseGift4NM.org
5547 Timberfalls Road N.W., Albuquerque, NM, 87114
(505) 554-2183
Gift doesn’t have previous experience in the Legislature.
The Albuquerque Teachers Federation designated Gift the Early Education Superhero for the 2012, according to an Oct. 20 post on her Facebook page. Her other endorsements include the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees, the New Mexico Building and Construction Trades Council and the Planned Parenthood New Mexico Action Fund, which are listed in the notes section of her profile.
In the notes section of her profile, she describes her position regarding early childhood education, stating, “We know that a sound education lays the foundation of who we are and what we are able to achieve as individuals, as a community and as a nation. Laying such a foundation starts in the earliest years of a child, when crucial foundational learning takes place. Deficits that develop in a child’s earliest years can be costly and challenging to erase, if at all erasable. Full and fair funding for early-childhood education needs to be a part of all educational planning.”
In her Albuquerque Journal candidate profile, Gift said she supports increased spending in regards to the Affordable Care Act. “By expanding Medicaid through the ACA, we assist the most vulnerable in our society and the state gets 85 percent federal matching funds,” she said. “Disabled and low-income residents are entitled to quality health care.”
In the profile, she also said she supports raising taxes for general government spending and public schools. “New Mexico earners of $28 million and earners of $28,000 pay the same personal income tax,” she said. “This investment will help provide an educated workforce; a favorable return on investment to business and the community.”
On her campaign site, in regards to job creation, Gift states the government is responsible for cultivating an environment in which businesses can create jobs, as well as adequately educating the workforce. “We must make sure our schools are graduating workers who are prepared to compete in the international job market. We should improve and broaden access to our highly successful community colleges and universities where people can acquire skills employers need.”
According to FollowTheMoney.org, Gift’s top contributor is Emily’s List, which accounts for $1,000, or 5.46 percent of her total contributions. Her second highest contributor is Pat and Vincent Collawn of Albuquerque at 5.46 percent, followed by Albuquerque Teachers Federation at 4.09 percent, James O’Neill of Albuquerque at 2.73 percent and Kathie Dixon of Albuquerque at 2.73 percent.

Monica Youngblood
Republican candidate for state House of Representatives, district 68
https://www.facebook.com/mynmstaterep
MyNMStateRep.com
9832 Stone St. N.W., Albuquerque, NM, 87114 (505) 342-6250
Youngblood doesn’t have previous experience in the Legislature. Her political experience, listed in her Albuquerque Journal candidate profile, includes working as a campaign coordinator for Rep. David Doyle during 2009-10 and delegate of the Republican Party of New Mexico for the primary and general election in 2009.
Among the endorsements she lists on her campaign site are the Animal Protection Voters of New Mexico, the Catholic Coalition of New Mexico and the Associated Contractors of New Mexico.
Her site also includes her views on issues such as jobs, education, taxes, conservative values and transparency and corruption.
In reference to jobs, she cites her experience as a small business owner, stating, “I believe that in a weak economy, our elected officials should stop overspending and instead focus on getting the government and excessive regulation out of the way of the private sector. Government should reduce its unnecessary interference in the marketplace, which will help encourage and allow New Mexico’s businesses to invest in our community and create jobs.”
In reference to education, she states that the current system is failing kids in the state, and that she completely supports Gov. Martinez’s efforts to eliminate social promotion. “I graduated from an underperforming high school. As a result, I know firsthand the struggles of succeeding when the odds are stacked against you. Promoting a third grader who cannot read proficiently does one thing—it paves the way to failure.”
When asked whether she supports increasing spending in regards to the Affordable Care Act, Youngblood didn’t say whether or not she supports increasing spending. She said “We need to make sure we can provide care for those most vulnerable in our communities, while also being good stewards of taxpayer dollars.”
The Journal also asked if she supports increased taxes to support general government spending and public education. Youngblood said, “This is not a time to raise taxes on anyone. Government needs to live within its means and do more with less — as many of us have had to do in this economy.”
According to FollowTheMoney.org, Youngblood is her own top contributor, accounting for $15,000, or 17.59 percent, of her total contributions. Her second highest contributor is Gardner Zemke of Albuquerque at 5.86 percent, followed by Chavez Grieves of Albuquerque at 2.93 percent, Thomas Taylor and the Committee to Elect Scott Bird at 2.7 percent and Associated Builders and Contractors at 2.35 percent.

Incumbent Rep. Gail Chasey (D-18)
Democratic candidate for state House of Representatives, district 18
Facebook.com/RepChasey
GailChasey.com
1206 Las Lomas Road N.E., Albuquerque, NM, 87106
(505) 266-5191
Chasey is serving on the following legislative committees:
• Tobacco Settlement Revenue Oversight Committee
• Courts, Corrections and Justice Committee
• Consumer and Public Affairs Committee
• Judiciary Committee
• Rules and Order of Business Committee
• Investigatory Subcommittee of the Rules and Order of Business Subcommittee
Since she began serving in the Legislature in 1997, Chasey has sponsored or co-sponsored 309 bills, 59 of which passed.
This year, Chasey sponsored legislation requesting the state legislative council to appoint a task force to find ways to provide additional energy assistance for low-income customers, and to report this to the council. To establish the necessity for this task force, the final wording cites that in 2011, New Mexico had the second highest percentage of residents living in poverty compared to other states. Additionally, the poverty rate in the state increased almost two percent between 2009 and 2010, mirroring the increase in the state’s unemployment rate. The bill passed.
This year, Chasey sponsored legislation requesting the Legislative Finance Committee to study a basic health care program for low-income people who don’t qualify for Medicaid. This was in light of the Affordable Care Act, according to the final wording, which also states that even with federal tax credits and subsidies intended to make health care affordable, it is likely to remain unaffordable for parts of the population. The bill passed.
In 2005, Chasey sponsored legislation to modify the Education Works Program, which provides cash assistance to those attending a post-secondary education institution to increase their chances of employment. The final wording of the bill indicates these individuals may apply for two semesters of assistance in addition to the 24 months of assistance the program originally allowed, if the assistance would increase their chances of completing their degree. The bill passed.
On her candidate profile on the Albuquerque Journal’s website, Chasey said she supports increased spending in accordance with the Affordable Care Act and said, “It would be unconscionable for New Mexico, with the second highest rate of uninsured, not to expand Medicaid rolls. The true cost is closer to $350 million and will be recouped by health care savings.”
When the Journal asked whether she supports raising taxes for general government spending and public schools, Chasey said, “Restore progressivity to our tax system. Future tax cuts should include triggers so that cuts continue only when revenues are sufficient to guarantee excellent schools, public safety, good roads and adequate safety nets.”
According to FollowTheMoney.org, Chasey’s top two contributors are Steve and Josh Ewing of Ewing & Ewing P.C., each accounting for $4,600, or 11.1 percent, of her total contributions. Her third highest contributor is the New Mexico Trial Lawyers Association at 7.24 percent, followed by the New Mexico Realtors Association at 4.83 percent and Enterprise Products at 1.93 percent.

Tyson Jerald Cosper
Republican candidate for state House of Representatives, district 18
Facebook.com/VoteTysonCosper
TysonCosper.com
1616 Lead Ave. S.E., Albuquerque, NM, 87106
(505) 859-0043
Cosper has no previous experience in the Legislature.
On his website, Cosper does not list issues that are a priority for him. His introduction states, “I am a pretty basic guy when it comes to politics. I support business growth and development, jobs for New Mexicans, and most of all I know that the state budget belongs to the taxpayer, and should be managed responsibly to benefit the people of this state.”
Cosper did not respond to the Albuquerque Journal’s request to participate in the candidate profile questionnaire.
According to FollowTheMoney.org, Cosper’s highest contributor is an anonymous one, accounting for $170, or 32.08 percent of his total contributions. His second highest contributor is Don and Aileen Hogan of Los Lunas at 18.87 percent, followed by Dennis Schlessinger of Los Lunas at 18.87 percent, Kelly Fajardo of Los Lunas at 13.21 percent and the National Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors at 9.43 percent.

Elizabeth Thomson
Democratic candidate for state House of Representatives, district 24
Facebook.com/pages/Elizabeth-L-Thomson-for-NM-House-24/261180410637092
ThomsonNMHouse24.org
1216 Westerfeld Drive N.E., Albuquerque, NM, 87112
(505) 239-1781
Thomson has no previous experience in the Legislature.
The issues she lists on her website are civil rights and equality, education and health care.
She states on her website that education should be the government’s top priority. This does not simply begin in kindergarten and end with graduation, she states, and parents should be equipped to provide an educationally rich environment for their children when they are getting ready to start a family. Where public education is concerned, she states, “Education is not a business and cannot be approached as such. Businesses have the option of refusing to work with materials that are not up to their specifications: schools do not have that option. Every student who comes through the doors must be educated, regardless of their unique circumstances—impoverished, English language learners or living with a disability, for instance. This makes the job of educators much more challenging, and requires something other than a one-size-fits-all model.”
According to her Albuquerque Journal candidate profile, Thomson has been a member of the NM Developmental Disabilities Planning Council since 2007, and was the chair of the council from 2001 to2008.
When asked by the Journal whether she supports increased spending in regards to the Affordable Care Act, Thomson said, “N.M. has the second-highest rate of uninsured in the country. Providing preventive care to 170,000 will save the state money in long-term health care costs while engendering a healthy population.”
The Journal also asked if she supports raising taxes to support general government spending and public education, to which she said, “Taxes in the United States are the lowest they have been in 80 years. We must restore progressivity to our tax system to ensure our roads, schools and public safety is adequate for all of our citizens.”
According to FollowTheMoney.org, Thomson’s top two contributors each account for $5,000, or 10.53 percent, of her total contributions—the New Mexico Trial Lawyers Association and the New Mexico Defense Fund. Her third highest contributor is the New Mexico Physical Therapy Association at 7.37 percent, followed by Emily’s List at 4.84 percent and POWER at 4.21 percent.

Incumbent Rep. Conrad James (R-24)
Facebook.com/pages/Conrad-James-for-NM-House-District-24/10150120996070591
ConradJamesHD24.com
12020 Baja Drive N.E., Albuquerque, NM, 87111
(505) 323-4482
James is serving on the following legislative committees:
• Science, Technology and Telecommunications Committee
• Legislative Finance Committee
• Appropriations and Finance Committee
• Voters and Elections Committee
• Enrolling and Engrossing – B
Since he began serving in the Legislature in 2011, James sponsored or co-sponsored 12 bills, three of which passed.
He was awarded the Spirit of Bipartisanship’s Rising Star Award for his work during the 50th legislative session, according to James’ website. The award is given to “first-term lawmakers who have shown dedication to the creation and advancement of bipartisan public policy benefiting New Mexicans,” according to NMFirst.org. James’ website states he also won the New Mexico Association of Counties Soaring Eagle Award for “leadership in securing legislation vital to protecting and advancing county interests,” according to an article in the Santa Fe New Mexican.
On his website, James states his positions on issues such as economic policy, education and regulation. Where economic policy is concerned, he said, “Tax policy should not be used to redistribute wealth, choose economic winners and losers or to engineer society. Taxes should be kept low, simple, broad and predictable. Government spending should not be tied to tax revenue, but should instead be tied to need for services, inflation and population growth.”
He states on his website that education is the key to a bright future. “School choice in the form of scholarships, tax credits and charter schools is an important aspect of ensuring flexibility for meeting the needs of all families. Also, schools should focus on teaching traditional academic/vocational subjects and leave value-based subjects to parents and advocacy groups outside school hours.”
In his candidate profile on the Albuquerque Journal website, in regards to whether he supports increased spending in accordance with the Affordable Care Act, James said, “I support expanding Medicaid to all adults below 150 percent, poverty level, paid for by reducing eligibility at higher incomes, waiver needed. Explore organizing an enrollment day to sign up all eligible but uninsured adults/children.”
According to FollowTheMoney.org, James’ top campaign contributor is the Susana PAC, accounting for $5,000, or 7.64 percent, of his total contributions. His second highest contributor is Robert Hall of Oklahoma City, Okla. at 3.52 percent, followed by Thomas C. Taylor Election Committee at 3.52 percent, the Committee to Elect Tom Taylor at 3.52 percent and Charles Horton of Flower Mound, Texas at 3.52 percent.