Stars share show-biz tips

culture@dailylobo.com

There’s no wrong way to eat a Reese’s in the theater business, according to “Lion King” star Syndee Winters.

Winters, who plays Nala in the Broadway production of the Disney classic; Ben Lipitz, who plays Pumbaa; and Michael Hollick, the standby for Scar and Pumbaa, gave a class to undergraduate theater students Wednesday morning about how to break into the business of show business — and apparently, there’s no wrong way.

The Broadway pros discussed various strategies to be successful and answered questions from students about agents, auditions and education.

They said students should be spontaneous during an audition to showcase their talents and be memorable. All three actors discussed the importance of networking. They advised college thespians to get to know the names and faces of the people in the business and to be proactive about getting themselves out there.

“You have to be clear with yourself with what your goals are,” Hollick said. “Do you want a satisfying career? Do you want fame and fortune?”

The students gathered at the front of the room for a movement exercise that stressed the importance of being in the moment. The students stomped, clapped and shouted letters of the alphabet, attempting to create a rhythm. Students expressed that it was harder than it looked. The group had to start at the beginning more than once because someone stomped or clapped at the wrong time.

“Some people were nervous and messing up, which made everyone else mess up. We were put on the spot,” student Alexandra McCrary said.

Hollick told the students that none of them did the exercise correctly because they were too worried about forgetting their letter or looking ahead to their turn, instead of being in the moment.

The stars of “The Lion King” Broadway production also said that because they are constantly on the road, it’s easy to contract illnesses. They had a few tips for staying healthy for work.

“‘Lion King’ was my first production out of college … every time the season changed, I would get sick,” Winters said.

Hollick said yoga helps him both in his personal life and professional career.

“There are certain things about yoga that are conducive to acting,” he said. Winters said she swears by apple cider vinegar to keep her voice in top condition.

One student asked about the importance of a master’s degree.

“I have half a master’s degree … so I’m at half mast. There are pills that help me though,” Lipitz said.

He also said a colleague of his had a very successful career without ever attending college, so degrees aren’t a must.

Hollick told students that people will often procrastinate going out into the field and instead stay in school longer because they may not feel ready.

Hollick said that when actors begin to feel the show revolves around them, the whole thing can fall apart.

“It’s a collaborative process. I think a lot of actors maybe get into it for the wrong reasons,” he said. “There is no perfect performance, don’t judge yourself.”