ABQride

UNM employee Krista Foutz participates in an ABQ RIDE survey following a town hall Thursday night. ABQ RIDE hosted the town hall to gather feedback about a concept for a Bus Rapid Transit System. Foutz said the bus system should not only be focused on the east-west Central Avenue but that a main north-south corridor needs to be developed.

ABQ RIDE hosts public meeting, requests public input for proposed Bus Rapid Transit system concept for Central Avenue

ABQ RIDE is requesting public input for a proposed concept to implement a rapid transit service along Central Avenue.

According to the city of Albuquerque website, ABQ RIDE is hosting a series of public input sessions through Dec. 13 to gather opinions and ideas about a possible Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) Service along Central Avenue. The BRT service is an integrated travel system that aims to optimize travel.

According to the Central Avenue Corridor BRT Feasibility Assessment, the city is considering a BRT plan on Central Avenue from 98th Street to Tramway Boulevard.

City of Albuquerque Transit Department public information officer Rick De Reyes said that at the public input sessions, ABQ RIDE Director Bruce Rizzieri will give a presentation on the BRT concept. He said Rizzieri will provide information about some of the attributes of BRT, why the concept would be beneficial to Albuquerque if it is implemented and statistical data to show what population growth in Albuquerque will look like.

De Reyes said the concept is still in its early stages and that concrete plans have not yet been made for its implementation. He said meetings will also include time for questions and answers to allow for public input.

“We don’t know what it would look like,” he said. “It’s not really a project; it’s merely a concept right now. The public meetings are to gather people’s ideas and opinions.”

ABQ RIDE public input meetings

Today
6-7:30 p.m.
Alamosa Community Center
6900 Gonzales Road S.W.

Tuesday
6-7:30 p.m.
Loma Linda Community Center
1700 Yale Blvd. S.E.

Dec. 11
6-7:30 p.m.
Old Main Library/Special
Collections, Botts Hall
423 Central Ave. N.E. (at Edith)

Dec. 13
6-7:30 p.m.
Albuquerque Museum of Art
and History auditorium
2000 Mountain Road N.W.