The Weekly Free

“Let freedom ring,” Martin Luther King Jr. said on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in one of the most famous speeches ever given. The Daily Lobo is taking that to heart, and so should you. Here’s our weekly compilation of freebies.

BROWN BAG LECTURE
TODAY
Sue Brown is speaking about her experiences as a development worker in Haiti. She touches on topics such as housing, sanitation, humanitarian standards for food and travel and safety problems when a community is faced with an earthquake or similar national disaster. The talk runs from noon to 1 p.m. in the conference room at the Latin American & Iberian Institute on campus.

LIFE CYCLE TALK
TODAY
Gail Rubin, “The Doyenne of Death,” speaks at an event hosted by a group of New Mexico mystery writers. Rubin has written many books about death, and she was a regular columnist with the Albuquerque Tribune. She speaks about life cycles and is a certified celebrant. If this is up your alley, the event is at the James Joseph Dwyer Memorial Substation at 12700 Montgomery Ave. N.E. at 7 p.m.

UGLY SWEATER PARTY
WEDNESDAY
UNM’s Queer Straight Alliance hosts the only post-Christmas ugly sweater party in town, so be there or be square. Snacks, crafting and Delta Lambda Phi recruiting are on the agenda. The party is at 7 p.m. in Acoma A and B on the third floor of the SUB.

STUDENT ORGANIZATION DAY
WEDNESDAY
If you don’t already have enough going on, every student organization on campus will gladly take you in. So choose wisely. More than 400 organizations will be trying to recruit you in the SUB atrium, so enter with care or avoid it at all costs. The event runs from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.

PIE DAY
THURSDAY
It’s not just free pie — people will also be reading stories about pie out loud. The pie-filled celebration is at Bookworks at 4022 Rio Grande Blvd. N.W. at 10:30 a.m. It’s probably worth skipping your morning classes for.

SAXOPHONE AND DRUMS
FRIDAY
If you need some musical relaxation but don’t want to be put to sleep by classical music, check out this recital in Keller Hall in the Center for the Arts. A percussionist and saxophonist team up for this recital at 6 p.m.