Show Me How To: Avoid Spring Allergies

Sneezing, watery eyes and runny nose … sound familiar? Yes, allergy season is here. Allergies can ruin a beautiful day and sometimes seriously affect your life. They won’t always lead to asthma or be dangerous, but they can still be frustrating. Every year, nearly 40 million Americans suffer from seasonal allergies and related conditions. As the weather warms up and the trees begin budding, pollen starts filling the air and you might find yourself with red, itchy eyes, stuffed nose and even some breathing difficulties.

Here are some tips from webmd.com that can help you survive this seasonal nuisance:

Tip 1
Start treating allergies early. Pollen starts filling the air as soon as the weather gets warmer, which means you should start taking medications to control seasonal allergies around mid-February, because most allergens start filling the air in March.

Tip 2
Avoid the outdoors and open windows, especially on dry, breezy days. Pollen is spread very easily with the wind. Rainy days are a relief, as the water washes away the allergens. Thus, if you find yourself spending time outdoors, always remember to take a shower afterward to get rid of the pollen.

Tip 3
Drink a lot of water. It will definitely help in cleansing and hydrating your body.

Tip 4
If your runny nose is bothering you too much, try using a neti pot. It might not be the most comfortable or convenient solution, but warm water with a pinch of salt can be more effective than you think.

Tip 5
When “natural” options fail, try using over-the-counter medications that reduce allergy symptoms. Other available medications include antihistamines, topical nasal sprays and decongestants, the last of which should be taken on a short-term basis only. You can also ask your doctor for a prescription nasal spray and antihistamine eye drops which might bring some relief.

Tip 6
Another helpful tip is to consume a lot of vegetables that combat allergens, such as broccoli, citrus fruits, collard greens, onions, garlic, parsley and elderberries.

Tip 7
Clean your air filters often and don’t forget about getting rid of dust on your bookshelves, vents and other places where pollen can collect.