3/5_spotlight

Chad Adams, left, and Jamal Fenton

Lobo Spotlight: Chad Adams & Jamal Fenton

Seniors leave last home game as MWC champions

With two minutes left in Saturday’s game against Wyoming, senior men’s basketball player Chad Adams took a moment to look around The Pit.

It was the last time he and classmate Jamal Fenton could experience the home atmosphere as players on the New Mexico men’s basketball team.

“I’m going to miss coming down the ramp and seeing the fans and playing with my teammates,” Adams said. “It’s a bittersweet feeling, but it’s good to move on in the fashion that we have.”

Adams and Fenton have 105 career wins in 134 games, more than any other Lobos in school history. During their four seasons, the duo helped UNM capture three MWC regular-season championships. The Lobos’ win over Wyoming on Saturday clinched this season’s conference crown.

The two were honored during a postgame celebration, along with inactive senior Emmanuel Negedu, who has not played because of a heart condition, and senior team manager Kevin McCurdy.

Adams, a 6-foot-6 forward, is an Albuquerque native who played high school basketball at Highland. He averaged 4.7 points and 3.3 rebounds in 28 games this year, shooting a .442 field-goal percentage.

Hailing from Houston, the 5-foot-9 guard Fenton played his prep career at Cesar E. Chavez High School. He scored 3.8 points per game with a .317 shooting percentage in 26 games.

“Everybody knows their role, and everybody plays hard and does what they have to do for us to get the victory,” Fenton said.

The Lobos have two road games left on their regular-season schedule, at Nevada on Wednesday and at Air Force on Saturday. The MWC Tournament is next week at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, Nev., and UNM will be the No. 1 seed.

Then, of course, there’s the NCAA national tournament.

However the season turns out, there will always be the Senior Day championship victory Fenton and Adams can savor.

“This will probably be my greatest moment as a senior going out and being able to win a championship on my home court on Senior Night,” Adams said. “It’ll be something I’ll remember for the rest of my life.”