The Weekly Free

Not only is the Daily Lobo free all year long, but it also comes packaged with free information on other free things. So recline, relax and prepare yourself for this week’s freeness … These events exist to be taken advantage of, so go into the city and celebrate freebie culture. Go and be free.

Wednesday
Documentary

Fuel your appetite for social justice with a community screening of “The Revolutionary Optimists,” a film about how children in one of the world’s notorious super-slums — Calcutta, India — are spearheading a revolution for health and sanitation conditions with help from attorney-turned-activist Amlan Ganguly. A guided audience discussion will follow the screening. Come check it out Wednesday from 7 to 9 p.m. at the KiMo Theater, 423 Central Ave. N.W.

Friday
Ale and Alliteration

Downtown micro-club the Blackbird Buvette hosts “Poetry & Beer” this Friday. The performances are free and so is the atmosphere; the beer is not free, but you knew that. Use all that money you saved by reading this column to wet your beak with the other Blackbirds to the coos of poetry. And why not perform some of your own? Karaoke is so last year. Event begins at 6:30 p.m at 509 Central Ave. S.W.

Friday
Portal Preview

Legendary author Tony Hillerman will soon have a dedicated University of New Mexico portal. No, it’s not a supernatural gateway into another dimension — just a web portal into the wealth of manuscripts, papers and notes that Hillerman has passed along to Zimmerman Library. If navigating original sources is your thing, don’t miss this preview of ehillerman.unm.edu in the Willard Room at Zimmerman on Friday from 5:30 to 7 p.m.

Saturday
Jewelry Fair

Mama’s Minerals holds its eighth annual arts and crafts fair with over 100 artists, music and food this weekend. While it’s free to join in the festivities, be sure to bring a little pocket money if you want to support the craftsmen and –women who take the minerals of the earth and make pretty things out of them. Make your way to Mama’s Minerals on the N.E. corner of Lomas and San Mateo (Suite 15) on Saturday between 10:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. to get in on this good thing.

Saturday
Bees? No, beads

Stone Mountain Bead Gallery in Nob Hill is celebrating its 20th anniversary with free beading projects, free hors d’oeuvres and free giveaways this weekend. Come discover the joys of jeweling with a “Make-it-Take-it” bead kit, and make sure you get there early, since space is limited. Hit them up on Saturday between 1 and 4 p.m. at 4008 Central Ave. S.E. and snag one of their free parking spots too.