Lemmy et al. still rocking

culture@dailylobo.com

Motörhead seems to get louder with every new album, and “Aftershock” is no exception.

The 21st album from the band, which was founded by Lemmy Kilmister and now features Phil Campbell and Mikkey Dee, never strays from the group’s speed metal roots, and it doesn’t disappoint, either.
Much of the album reeks of Campbell’s frantic yet impressive guitar work and Kilmister’s death-like raspy vocals; not different at all from their previous albums, but we wouldn’t have it any other way.

The album’s opening number, “Heartbreaker,” is sure to grab anyone’s attention, with the loud crash of all the band members’ musical weapons of choice and the lyrics of a young boy’s fight to survive as a man.

Even the slower number, “Dust and Glass,” can seem menacing with Kilmister’s vocal presence.

The album picks up again with the drumming talent of Dee leading into “Going to Mexico,” a tale of committing debauchery and mayhem south of the border.

The band’s blues influences are evident on tracks like “Lost Woman Blues” and “Crying Shame.”

The album finishes off as fast as it starts with the racing-through-wilderness-themed “Paralyzed.”

Album standouts include “Death Machine,” “Queen Of The Damned” and “Knife,” although every track on “Aftermath” is worth a listen.