11/22_wbball

UNM forward Ebony Walker looks to pass in a 67-52 loss to Texas on Tuesday at The Pit. The Lobos host No. 16 Colorado this Saturday at The Pit.

Women's Basketball: Team struggles to score

Sports@dailylobo.com
@Liam_CE

After losing the last two games against tough Texas opponents, the New Mexico women’s basketball team is finding that its struggles are not insurmountable.

The Lobos’ struggle to sink shots have baffled head coach Yvonne Sanchez. She said that the team works constantly in practice and in the mornings to make sure that their shooting is on.

“The things that plague us are fixable,” Sanchez said. “We’re hoping that can happen and it can happen soon.”

Sanchez added that the Lobos may still be dealing with nerves, which could be leading to the inconsistent shooting that UNM has experienced. The Lobos shot just 31.7 percent for the game in a 67-52 loss to Texas on Tuesday.

“We still have some youth in there,” Sanchez said. “I didn’t have anyone to pick up the team.”

The Lobos will host No. 16 Colorado (3-0) on Saturday at 1 p.m. at The Pit. This will be the first ranked team the Lobos have faced all season.

The Lobos are 6-7 against Colorado all-time and Sanchez didn’t fare well the only time she has faced Colorado as head coach for New Mexico. UNM faced No. 23 Colorado last year and were blown out in Boulder, Colo., losing 84-39.

The Buffaloes have three players who average 10 points or more in guard Brittany Wilson (12.7), guard Jasmine Sborov (11.0) and forward Arielle Roberson (10.7).

Lobo guard Antiesha Brown leads the team with 19.7 points per game average.

Sanchez said she hopes the Lobos will turn to the leaders on the team in hopes of not repeating last year’s loss.

“Leaders have got to lead and the rest of the group has to follow,” Sanchez said. “We will go from there.”

Right now, the Lobos’ focus will be to shoot better and improve on the lackadaisical errors forcing them to play catch up with the rest of the game.

“It’s hard to watch,” Sanchez said. “We’ve got to get better; we’ve got to get better.”

Walker out for rest of season

Reserve forward Ebony Walker will miss the remainder of the season with a torn Achilles tendon, the team announced on Wednesday.
Walker tore her Achilles tendon in the second half of UNM’s 67-52 loss to Texas on Tuesday.

“It’s very unfortunate to lose Ebony for the season because she was playing at such a high level for us. She has been making a big impact for us this season and was our second-leading scorer. Now we have to help Ebony through the entire process and get her ready to come back next season,” Sanchez said in a release.