1/21_nmFilm

The Made in New Mexico Film Series returns to the Guild Theater. One of the clips in this week’s event is from the 2010 indie film “Missing You,” written and directed by Albuquerque native and Breaking Bad alumnus Phil Duran.

Film series promotes NM’s timeless talent

culture@dailylobo.com
@StephenMontoya9

The Made in New Mexico Film Series returns to the Guild Cinema on Wednesday evening.

The series presents clips of feature films and shorts shot in New Mexico spanning from 1912 to present day, according to event creator Jeff Berg.

“I got the idea for the series while showing westerns at the Farm Ranch Heritage Museum in Las Cruces about 10 years ago,” Berg said. “New Mexico has a huge film history that has been around since 1897. I hand-pick the films for the event starting with the oldest and then move up to the most recent. I am not a pro, but I do it because I find it fun.”

One of the clips in this week’s event is from the 2010 indie film “Missing You,” written and directed by Albuquerque native and Breaking Bad alumnus Phil Duran.

Duran said he is honored to have his film selected for the series.
“This event helps spread word of mouth about the movie, so I think it’s great,” he said. “Acting is my favorite part of the entertainment business, but I figured I would give it a shot when it came to writing as a learning experience.”

The film series itself is also a great way to showcase the talented individuals in New Mexico, he said.

“I think the idea of showcasing a lot of different projects made in New Mexico gives a good perspective on the variety of films being made here, everything from big-budget films to student films, shorts and the 48 Hour Film Project,” Duran said.

Keif Henley, co-owner of the Guild, said the local theater has hosted the film series for four years and is happy to do so.

“This kind of event is a benefit that provides diversity of a common product,” he said. “It has historical benefits and broadens our pallet.”
The Made in New Mexico Film Series will run for about two hours and will include clips from 16 different New Mexico-made films.

Made in New Mexico Film Series
The Guild Cinema, 3405 Central Ave. N.E.
Wednesday
Tickets: $7
Doors open at 7:30 p.m.
guildcinema.com