Sports briefs

Women’s basketball

The New Mexico women fell to 9-16 on the season, 4-10 in Mountain West play, after a 53-48 loss to San Diego State on Saturday at Viejas Arena in San Diego.

Guard Antiesha Brown led UNM in scoring with 15 points, followed by forward Deeva Vaughn with 14 points.

The Lobos started the game with a scoreless slump over the first 2:58, missing their first two shots and committing three turnovers. They had another scoreless streak over four and a half minutes but held a 33-32 halftime lead.

The Aztecs (10-14, 7-7 MW) outscored the Lobos 21-15 in the second half in part due to some offensive struggles. UNM made three field goals in 19 attempts in the latter 20 minutes, finishing the game with a 29.8 percent shooting mark (14 of 47).

SDSU center Cierra Warren paced all scorers with 23 points, while guard Danesha Long added 16 points. The Aztecs were 42.9 percent from the field (21 of 49) but missed all five 3-pointers attempted.

Volleyball

The New Mexico Sports Hall of Fame named UNM outside hitter Chantale Riddle as its Collegiate Female Athlete of the year during the Hall’s annual ceremony Sunday.

Last season Riddle led the Lobos with 468 kills and 4.11 kills per assist, helping the team to a 24-7 overall record, 14-6 in the Mountain West. She currently ranks fifth in UNM’s record books for career kills with 1,182. She also earned a spot on the American Volleyball Coaches Association All-American third team.

“I am so proud of Chantale,” UNM head coach Jeff Nelson said in a statement. “All the hard work she has done really paid off this year, first being named an All-American and this great honor. Being chosen for this is a huge honor, and everyone associated with Lobo volleyball is so happy for her.”

Skiing

Sparked by three podium finishes, the UNM skiing team placed fifth at the Rocky Mountain Intercollegiate Ski Association Championships hosted by Denver University on Friday and Saturday.

The Lobos finished with 617 1/2 points, two positions behind champion Utah (640 points) and runner-up Colorado (636). Denver took fourth with 578 1/2, followed by Montana State with 445, Alaska Anchorage with 425 and Colorado Mountain with 71.

Nordic skier Eva Severrus earned two top-three finishes, including a win in the women’s 15K freestyle race. She claimed that race with a time of 39.54.0. She also took third in the 5K classical in 15:55.8.

Alpine skiers Joonas Rasanen and Karoline Myklebust both placed second in the slalom events with times of 1:15.32 and 1:20.89, respectively. Myklebust tied for third with Denver’s Kristine Haugen in the giant slalom in 32.5, while Aljaz Praznik was third in the men’s 20K freestyle in 45:16.3.

Track and field

UNM distance runners Charlotte Arter and Chloe Anderson went 2-3 in the Alex Wilson Invitational mile run on Saturday in South Bend, Ind.

Arter clocked a 4:39.88 for second place while Anderson crossed the finish line in 4:41.26 for third.

The Lobo men’s distance medley relay team of Elmar Engholm, Charles Lewis, Gabe Aragon and Jake Shelly placed 12th at the event in 9:38.26.

Three UNM men also competed at the USA Indoor National Championships over the weekend. Long jumper Kendal Spencer finished sixth with a 24-foot, 8 1/2-inch leap, triple jumper Warrick Campbell took seventh with a 50-10 1/4 jump, and sprinter Ridge Jones placed 21st in the 60-meter dash in 6.84 seconds.

Swimming

UNM posted a fifth-place finish at the Mountain West Championships held last week in San Antonio, Texas, after scoring 303 points.

Boise State won the conference title with a team score of 735 points, while San Diego State was second with 633.5 and Nevada ended in third with 507 points.

Softball

UNM’s losing streak extended to nine games at the three-day Mary Nutter Classic in Palm Springs, Calif.

The Lobos have not won since Feb. 9. An 11-10 win over UC Riverside remains UNM’s only victory this season.

In Palm Springs, the Lobos lost their first two games Friday with a 4-2 setback to LIU Brooklyn and a 5-2 defeat to Cal State Northridge. UNM then endured its worst loss of the season in a 17-0 mercy rule loss to Long Beach State on Saturday.

UNM then fell to Cal Poly in Sunday’s first game before a 13-0 mercy rule lost to undefeated UCLA.

Six times this season UNM (1-13) has lost via mercy rule.

Tennis

The UNM women dropped a pair of home duals over the week, a 5-2 loss to No. 20 Oklahoma on Saturday and a 6-1 loss to Utah on Sunday.

The men’s team played two duals on the road duals, beating Fresno State 4-3. The results of Sunday’s dual against Santa Clara were not available by deadline.