Environmental Internships
Daily Lobo Logo
Rain, 35°F
7 day forecast
Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Chillz suspends business due to theft, vandalism

0211614_chillzrobbed_web_wa
By William Aranda / New Mexico Daily Lobo

Owner Justin Carson sits in his ice cream parlor, Chillz Frozen Custard, near UNM Sunday afternoon. Carson’s parlor was robbed and vandalized on Saturday night.

assistant-news@dailylobo.com
@ChloeHenson5

A local frozen custard joint was robbed Saturday night of money and valuables.

Justin Carson, the owner of Chillz Frozen Custard located on Central Avenue in the University area, said he got a call Sunday morning from an emergency operator informing him that the door to his establishment was open.

“When I got to work, my register, all of my money was gone, all of my valuables,” he said. “Electronics, iPods, TVs — everything that was worth money in here was gone.”

Carson said he called the Albuquerque Police Department regarding the incident and the reporting officer failed to detect any immediate suspects.

Carson said Chillz is closed indefinitely due to the financial challenges the robbery inflicted.

“I was in the worst point I could be in with business right now,” he said. “I really needed every dollar that I had. So I don’t even know if I’ll be able to open my business back up.”

He said he also wouldn’t be able to conduct business because those responsible stole his register.

“I have no register, I can’t even ring customers up if I wanted to,” he said.

Those responsible picked the lock to gain entrance to the business, Carson said.

“It’s like getting struck by lightning,” he said. “The one night I didn’t turn my alarm on, somebody picked my lock and came here and got me for everything that was important.”

If you have any information or would like to reach out, visit the Chillz Frozen Custard Facebook page.

If you would like to make a donation to the Chillz recovery fund, visit https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/bhUu6/ab/12qsva