Daily Lobo Logo
Clear, 43°F
7 day forecast
Friday, December 19, 2014

Let love reach farther than your loved ones

This Valentine’s Day, don’t just show love to the people in your life, also show love to your body, the environment and the animals you share this world with.

The meat free diets once considered to be something only hippies would do during the 70s, are today a growing movement, with 3.2 million people following a vegetarian diet and over 150,000 people following a complete vegan diet.

But what is a vegan diet? A vegan does not consume dairy and meat. The number one question for most people is where do you get your protein? That’s easy, from beans, vegetables, legumes, nuts faux meats and cheese. We live in a country that has given us no reason not to become vegan.

Going vegan also shows love to your body. While when you go vegan you reduce your risk of prostate, breast and colorectal cancer, you lower your cholesterol, your risk of heart disease, and you lower your chances of obesity. The list goes on and on.

Also, today the Green movement is huge because we need to save our environment, and one of the biggest and best ways to help the environment is by going vegan. Currently 70% of the rainforest is being cut down to raise animals for meat consumption. Basically, if every person in America skipped one meal containing meat a week, the carbon dioxide eliminated would be the same as taking 500,000 cars off the road. If you don’t want to go vegan for yourself or the environment, do it for others.

By going vegan you are saving 200 animals a year, you are helping end animal cruelty, and you are giving an animal the gift of life. Get more information on going vegan and animal rights news at PETA2.org.

Elizabeth Baca
UNM student