Environmental Internships
Daily Lobo Logo
Clear, 35°F
7 day forecast
Friday, December 19, 2014

Men's Basketball: Lobos lose at last second

@ThomasRomeroS

The New Mexico men’s basketball team will have to wait to catch San Diego State in the Mountain West standings.

The league-leading Aztecs lost on Tuesday night at Wyoming 68-62, giving the Lobos an opportunity to tie SDSU if they won Wednesday night at Boise State.

The Broncos had other plans.

Two last-second free throws by Boise State guard Derrick Marks and a late miss by Lobo guard Hugh Greenwood gave Boise State a 71-70 victory over UNM, snapping a three-game losing streak in the process.

With the loss, the Lobos fall to 18-5, 9-2 Mountain West and trail No. 5 SDSU (21-2, 10-1 MW) by one game in the conference standings.

Lobo guard Kendall Williams scored a game-high 22 points on 6 of 10 shooting and hit a 3-pointer in the final minute to give UNM a 70-69 edge. Forward Cameron Bairstow chipped in with 20 points and center Alex Kirk managed 13 points. No other Lobo scored in double figures.

Boise State (16-9, 6-6 MW) had four players in double-digits with Anthony Drmic’s 18 points leading the way.

Early on, it looked like the Lobos were well on their way in tying the Aztecs for first place in the conference.

UNM led by as many as 12 in the first half and headed into halftime with a 42-35 edge.

The Lobos shot 51 percent from the field compared to the Broncos 40 percent clip.