2/13_showmehow

Show Me How: to make Valentine’s gifts

culture@dailylobo.com
@M_A_Reports

Valentine’s Day is a perfect time to make a special gift for loved ones. Instead of buying the cliché roses and chocolates, etched glass designs can be easily personalized and made into a lasting gift that your partner is sure to appreciate.

Etched glass refers to a technique in arts and crafts that uses an abrasive or acidic material to mark designs, patterns and even letters onto glass, leaving a stained translucent look. You can use any kind of glass material — from a window to a glass bottle.

Stella Bell Kemper, a senior liberal arts major who works in the ASUNM arts and crafts studio, demonstrates an etched bottle gift idea that can be customized in any manner you desire.

You will need a clean glass (bottle or any other glass material,) glass etching cream, stencil stickers, a paintbrush and masking tape. Follow all safety directions on product label.

Step 1: Place the masking tape around the bottle to act as a guide for the stencils, so the letters or designs are straight.

Step 2: Arrange your stencils on the glass. Cover any gaps with masking tape to prevent etching cream smudging

Step 3: Smear the etching cream onto your stencils making sure not to add too much. Leave cream on for two minutes.

Step 4: Wash cream off with lukewarm water and dry with a paper towel or cloth.