2/10_track

Junior Samantha Bowe competes in the 60 meter hurdles event at the New Mexico Collegiate Classic on Saturday. The New Mexico Collegiate Classic precedes the Don Kirby Collegiate Elite Invitational on Feb. 14-15.

Track & Field: Lobos ready for invitational

Collegiate Classic a springboard for rested and participating athletes

@Liam_CE

Despite resting an abundance of athletes at the New Mexico Collegiate Classic, New Mexico head track and field coach Joe Franklin said he was pleased with the atmosphere that came from those who did participate.

“Last weekend was such a high-powered meet, a lot of our kids took some time off,” he said. “Those that competed did very well.”

The New Mexico Collegiate Track and Field Classic served the purpose of improving particular individuals while providing other athletes with rest prior to the Don Kirby Collegiate Elite Invitational, according to Franklin.

“It’s as big as it gets next weekend,” Franklin said. “We won’t be resting anyone.”

Franklin listed off Oregon, USC and Miami as among the contenders that will be attending the meet, which promises to be the biggest test New Mexico has seen all year.

“Next week the bar goes up again, literally and figuratively,” Franklin said. “This next weekend is going to be a phenomenal competition and we have to be ready to go.”

Redshirt junior Kendall Spencer, who finished atop the B section of the 60 meter dash in the New Mexico Collegiate Classic, said he is excited to compete against some of the high-profile schools in the nation during the upcoming meet.

“It kind of helps us that we are going to experience some of the best,” Spencer said. “I’m going to compete to the best of my ability … the competition really doesn’t matter to me.”

Although UNM did rest a lot of its athletes, the ones who did compete left Franklin and the team content with the individual performances.

Three athletes from the women’s pole vault were able to clear 3.82 meters, which was good enough to put all three in 6th place.

Senior Margo Tucker, one of the members to clear the 3.82 mark, said that she was exited with her team’s performances.

“I think we are going to peak at the right time,” Tucker said. “It’s always a great atmosphere … I think we have never felt so much more as a team.”

Franklin said he is confident that the women’s pole vaulting squad will peak at the proper time and continue to progress as a whole.

“It’s a good group for our hopes to win the conference championship,” Franklin said. “They’ve vaulted really well and supported each other.”

Senior Logan Pflibsen has been making some noise of his own for the men’s pole vaulting team. He cleared 5.20 meters, which was good enough for a tie at fourth place at the meet.

The Don Kirby Collegiate Elite Invitational will be held Friday through Saturday at the Albuquerque Convention Center.