2/28_wbball

UNM forward Josie Greenwood protects the ball from Rejane Verin #10 of the UNLV Rebels as she looks for an opening during the game February 19, at the Pit . The Lobos will be playing Nevada Saturday at 2pm.

Women's Basketball: Wins are too few and too far

@Liam_CE

Late game loses have been a reoccurring nightmare for the New Mexico women’s basketball team this year.

After a 65-67 loss to Utah State (12-15, 6-10 MW) on Wednesday night, the Lobos have now dropped nine of their last 10 games that have been decided by two possessions or less.

Head coach Yvonne Sanchez said that she keeps expecting good things to happen down the stretch late in games, but the team continues to fall just short of its desired outcome.

“I really thought we had it. We had everything going our way,” Sanchez said in a release. “I thought something good was going to happen. We just fell short.”

UNM squandered a late lead and dropped to 9-17 overall and a 4-11 Mountain West record.

“It’s disappointing,” Sanchez said. “Our kids played hard. They played well.”

The Lobos outrebounded the Aggies 41-34, but missed numerous second chance opportunities.

“They went to work (on the boards),” Sanchez said. “They went in there and gave us second and third chances. We had a lot of people getting in there, but we have to make those bunny shots. We have to make layups.”

UNM’s next opponent Nevada is one of the teams that escaped with a close win over the Lobos. On Feb. 15 in Reno, Nev., the Wolf Pack was the beneficiary of an untimely foul against UNM that resulted in a 75-73 win.

The Lobos will have to be just as good on the boards as they were against the Aggies. The Wolf Pack boasts the best rebounding offense in the conference (45.7 per game).

Nevada has struggled making shots in the MW with a field goal percentage of just .391 which ranks ninth. UNM is slightly better at .414 for the seventh-best shooting offense in the league.

However, the Lobos have allowed rival MW teams to hit .433 percent of their attempts.

Guard Danika Sharp paces Nevada in scoring with an average of 12.9 points per game. The Wolf Pack also has the conference’s top shot blocker in center Mimi Mungedi, who averages 1.8 blocks per game.

Lobo guard Antiesha Brown leads the Lobos with a scoring average of 14 points per game. Brown had 18 points in the loss to USU on Wednesday night.

UNM has done considerably better at home than on the road in conference play. The Lobos have a 3-4 record at The Pit compared to a 0-7 record on the road.

Women’s basketball vs. Nevada
2 p.m.
Saturday
The Pit