The Weekly Free

It’s Mardi Gras week, which means everyone everywhere is holding some sort of loud, color-laden event — including UNM. If that’s not your thing though, there are plenty of other free events this week

Tuesday
Get your fill of colorful beaded necklaces without having to lift your shirt in the SUB today. UNM is hosting its own Mardi Gras party in the atrium from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. The SUB is located north of the bookstore and west of Monte Vista Hall. All ages.

Friday
Warehouse 508 will host Albuquerque’s only youth poetry slam and open mic from 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. The competitive slam will give young poets the opportunity to compete for positions on the Albuquerque team for the international Brave New Voices poetry competition. Warehouse 508 is located at 508 1st Street N.W. Ages 13-19.

Saturday
The New Mexico Heart Institute is providing free 1-hour long CPR classes at the Manzano Mesa Multigenerational Center. Beginning at 1 p.m., the classes will teach students the basics of cardiopulmonary resuscitation. The Multigenerational Center is located at 501 Elizabeth Street S.E. 18

Sunday
History students will certainly want to attend TaraShea Nesbit’s reading session of her new book “The Wives of Los Alamos,” a fictional but well-studied account of the Manhattan Project from the perspective of the scientist’s wives. Nesbit will be reading at Bookworks beginning at 3 p.m. Bookworks is located at 4022 Rio Grande Boulevard N.W. All ages.