4-10 Nation briefs

Louisiana
Rep. Vance McAllister, R-Swartz, was home with his family in Louisiana this week after a video was released of him kissing his scheduler, Melissa Peacock, according to the Times-Picayune. Peacock resigned her post on Monday after the video was published earlier that day. Jennifer Dunagin, McAllister’s spokeswoman, said it is unclear when the married representative will return to Capitol Hill. The congressman has apologized for his conduct, and said that he still plans to run for re-election in November. McAllister plans to find out how the video was leaked, and Dunagin said he is exploring the possibility of going to the FBI.

New York
Chick-fil-A plans to expand its chain in New York City by the end of the year, according to USA Today. The Atlanta-based chicken food chain will open 108 new restaurants this year, many of which will be in New York City. The expansion comes two years after CEO Dan Cathy’s controversial comments condemning same-sex marriage. While the CEO’s comments didn’t necessarily have a short-term negative impact on sales, the chain aims to rebrand its image, according to the article. Cathy said he now wants to back away from social policy, and that the company “sincerely care(s) about all people,” according to the article. Chick-fil-A recently surpassed KFC as the largest chicken chain in domestic sales, and aims to become “a serious player on fast-food’s biggest stage,” according to the article.

North Carolina
A sentry at Camp Lejeunne is likely dead due to a “negligent discharge” by a fellow guard, according to Reuters. The sentry died Tuesday from a single gunshot wound to the chest. The U.S. Marine who discharged the shot is in custody, and pending forensics reports will verify whether the shooting was accidental. Officials said the M4 rifle that killed the sentry was fired inside the guard shack at the main gate of the base. Officials are withholding information about possible criminal charges against the sentry who discharged the shot, according to the article.

Pennsylvania
A 16-year-old student with two knives injured 21 people at Franklin Regional High School near Pittsburgh on Wednesday, according to the Chicago Tribune. Hospital officials said several of those attacked have life-threatening injuries. Nine are in critical condition. The principal of the school and an armed security officer were able to subdue and arrest the attacker, according to the article. The unidentified suspect is in police custody. The FBI is working with local law enforcement to further investigate the incident.

Texas
Police in East Texas arrested 37-year-old Evelyn Hamilton after she called to complain about the quality of marijuana she had purchased, according to the Associated Press. Lufkin police Sgt. David Casper said Hamilton was arrested Monday after showing an officer a small amount of marijuana she had purchased from a dealer. Casper said the officer was there to hear a complaint Hamilton had about the dealer not reimbursing her for what she considered to be substandard marijuana. Hamilton said she spent $40 on “seeds and residue,” according to the article. She was arrested on charge of possession of drug paraphernalia.

Washington
The U.S. Secret Service reassigned several agents and put alcohol prohibitions in place for the service, according to USA Today. The changes came two weeks after three agents were sent home from the Netherlands after a night of heavy drinking. One agent was found passed out in a hotel hallway, according to the article. The drinking occurred before the president’s arrival in the Netherlands. New policies will include banning the consumption of alcohol for 12 hours before reporting for duty and 24 hours prior to the president’s arrival, according to the article.