Daily Lobo Logo
Clear, 40°F
7 day forecast
Saturday, November 29, 2014

GPSA honors graduate students for their success

In honor of Graduation Appreciation Week, UNM’s Graduate and Professional Student Association will recognize graduate students for their work at the university.

Amalia Lucero

Amalia Lucero is a MA candidate for secondary education with licensure. She was born and raised in Albuquerque, New Mexico. She is a first generation college graduate. She received her BA in creative writing in 2006 and has always wanted to teach. She currently works for Southwest Airlines, and she will be licensed to teach by the end of May. She considers herself an advocate for literacy, and if she continued her education after receiving her MA, she would apply to the LLSS PhD program.

She currently student teaches at the Native American Community Academy, where she has started a book club that asks the students to take books home and share them with family members. She is also a part of AmeriCorps through the TeacherCorps program at UNM. She enjoys working with her students, and she always encourages them to be creative, critical thinkers.

She is excited to complete her MA by spring 2015, and she looks forward to entering the job market part time teaching students at any high school that will have her.

Hilliary G. Sheckler

Hilliary G. Sheckler is a third year Pharm.D. candidate at the University of New Mexico College of Pharmacy. She graduated high school in Moriarty, NM before completing her undergraduate coursework at the University of New Mexico. Since being accepted to pharmacy school, Hilliary has led an innovative prescription drug abuse education and prevention program called Generation Rx.

The Generation Rx program is designed to educate the general public on the prescription drug misuse and abuse epidemic. Hilliary currently serves as the chair of this program, and under her leadership, the program has received several national awards. Just this year, the Generation Rx program has reached over 12,000 New Mexicans in 28 of the 33 counties in New Mexico.

In addition to her role as the Generation Rx Chair, Hilliary has also served in various other leadership positions in student organizations at the College of Pharmacy, including the American Pharmacists Association, Academy of Student Pharmacists and the Kappa Psi Pharmaceutical Fraternity. She works as a registered pharmacy intern at Smith’s Food and Drug Pharmacy and at the Raymond G. Murphy VA Medical Center. Hilliary’s career plans are to gain a pharmacy residency upon graduation and become a clinical pharmacist.

Lindsey Ward

Lindsey Ward is from Spokane, WA and she earned her Bachelor’s of Fine Arts from Austin Peay State University in Clarksville, TN. In addition to being a third year graduate student in the Art Education Program at UNM, she is also a wife and mom of a 6-year-old girl. The Art Education program has been her home-away-from-home for the past three years. It has been her pleasure to serve on the Art Education GPSA for the last two years as president and vice president. Our GPSA is the best team of people she has ever worked with. The Art Education GPSA officers have been valuable colleagues and wonderful friends.