Sports briefs

Sports Briefs

Baseball

New Mexico completed a three-game sweep over San Jose State following an 11-6 win over the Spartans Saturday in San Jose.

The Lobos (30-11-1, 14-4 MW) also won two games Friday 14-2 and 5-2. The teams played a double-header on Friday after Thursday’s game was postponed because of poor playing surface conditions.

With Saturday’s win, pitcher Josh Walker improved his record to 6-2. In 7 1/3 innings, he gave up six earned runs off 11 hits. He struck out two SJSU batters and walked none.

Jack Zoellner, John Pustay, Andre Vigil and Lane Milligan all went 2-for-4 at the place, and Chase Harris was 2-for-5.

The Lobos return to the field today with a 2 p.m. home game against Texas Tech.

Women’s Tennis

The Lobos capped the regular season on Saturday with a 7-0 victory over Air Force. UNM enters this week’s Mountain West Championships with a 15-7 overall dual record and a 4-1 conference dual record.

The team won all six singles with victories from Michaela Bezdickova, Lizette Blankers, Meredith Hopson, Natasha Smith, Dominique Dulski and Rachana Bhat. Bezdickova/Blankers and Bhat/Susan Baklini grabbed doubles wins. Smith/Dulski’s match was unfinished.

With the regular season over, the Lobos will open the Mountain West Championships on Wednesday in Fresno, Calif. The UNM men, who ended their regular-season April 13, will hold its conference tournament on Thursday.

Men’s Golf

UNM golfer Gavin Green finished in a tie for 47th place at the Maybank Malaysian Open held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on Sunday.

He carded a 1-over-par 289 over the four-round European Tour event. He shot a 2-under 70 and sank six birdies in the final round. That round pumped Green up 13 spots in the final standings.

Green is 884th in the world golf rankings, according to europeantourn.com.

The entire Lobos team, including Green, will play in the Mountain West Championships Friday, Saturday and Sunday in Tucson, Ariz.

Men’s Soccer

Niko Hansen scored three goals in UNM’s 6-1 exhibition rout over Fort Lewis Saturday afternoon in Taos. Hansen scored his goals at the 25th-, 57th- and 79th-minute marks.

Ben McKendry added another two goals, while Christopher Wehan netted one in the final two minutes.

The Lobos scored more goals against Fort Lewis than they had in its first three exhibitions combined (four).

UNM concludes its spring exhibition campaign this Saturday against FC Tucson, a Premier Development League team, in Tuscon. Game time is 8:30 p.m. MT.