Daily Lobo Logo
Clear, 25°F
7 day forecast
Saturday, December 20, 2014

GPSA honors graduate students for their success

In honor of Graduation Appreciation Week, UNM’s Graduate and Professional Student Association will recognize graduate students for their work at the university.

Matt Eaton

Matt Eaton is a MA candidate in Art Education. He served as the GA for the Masley Gallery during the 2012-2013 school year and as ‘member at large’ and president for the Art Education GSA and Student Chapter of the National Art Education Association from 2012-2014. As president of the Art Education GSA, Eaton organized the Safe Zone Training that was offered to the Art Education Program as well as students throughout the COE. Most recently, the Art Education GSA sponsored the COE Colloquium. In addition, Eaton has served as a non-voting member of the NMAEA and was a presenter at the state conference this past year.

Regarding his extracurricular service and community engagement, Eaton served on the Board of Directors for The Friends of Montessori Foundation at Montessori of the Rio Grande Charter School for the past two years. He is also a volunteer for the American Youth Soccer Organization and has served as a coach and a referee for AYSO Region 104. Last summer, and again this coming summer, he will continue as a teaching artist at the Harwood Art Center’s Summer Art Camp.

Anvesha Palapati

Anvesha Palapati is a student from India pursuing her masters degree in computer science. She gained academic and practical experience in her undergraduate education and work experience in a corporate environment. She said graduate studies provide an opportunity to extend the breadth of education and training in her areas of interest, and that the course work at UNM is unique.

“Graduate study at University of New Mexico will be the most logical extension of my academic pursuits and a major step toward achieving my objectives,” she said.

Palapati’s area of interest in computer science is programming languages. She is a Jeff Bingaman Graduate Fellow at the University of New Mexico. Her current project is to make the biographical information, public records and digital media archives of New Mexico State Senator Jeff Bingaman available to students and researchers online.

“For me, the most interesting aspect of work is learning while working with framework called Drupal, which we use to develop the Bingaman website,” she said.

Ryan Brown

Originally from the greater Washington D.C. area, Ryan Brown is graduating in May from the Anderson Graduate School of Management with a master’s degree in Business Administration. His focus is on Management of Technology and International Management in Latin America. His desire to pursue these concentrations comes from a melding of experiences living in developing countries and attempting to start a technology services business in Haiti. Throughout his program he has helped guide a number of small businesses to develop innovative commercialization and marketing plans for new products and services.

As a complement to his program, he is also competing in the Entrepreneurial Ventures track of the UNM Business Plan Competition with an idea for a new crowdfunding platform. As a graduate assistant at the Graduate Resource Center, he consults with students getting into graduate and professional degree programs and helps coordinate various events and special projects.

Outside of these roles he is active with different student organizations such as the Men of Color Initiative and the Project for New Mexico Graduates of Color,and is the Vice President of the Association of Graduate Business Students and the Treasurer of Lobo Toastmasters.