4/21_baseball

UNM freshman catcher Lane Milligan hits the ball during the baseball game between the Lobos and Texas Tech. The Lobos defeated Texas Tech 4-3.

Baseball: No. 24 Lobos edge Texas Tech

@ThomasRomeroS

The New Mexico baseball team earned its ninth-straight victory with a 4-3 decision over Texas Tech on Monday at Lobo Field.

Left fielder John Pustay had the game-winning hit, a double that went off the second basemen’s glove, to score pinch runner Kirby McGuire from first base.

The Lobo win snapped No. 21 Texas Tech’s eight-game winning streak.

Earlier on Monday, Collegiate Baseball revealed that the Lobos were ranked 24th in its Top 25 poll.
Closer Victor Sanchez pitched 2.1 innings of scoreless relief in the winning effort. He’s now 3-0 on the season with a 0.98 ERA.

The Red Raiders (32-12) struck first with two runs in the top of the second inning. Third baseman Ryan Long hit a two RBI double.

UNM (31-11-1) answered with two runs of its own in the bottom of the frame.

The Lobos took the lead in sixth inning after first baseman Jack Zoellner scored on a throwing error by the Red Raider’s right outfielder Adam Kirsch.

In the bottom of the seventh, Texas Tech tied with an RBI single by left fielder Tyler Neslony.

Lobo starter A.J. Carman pitched 3.1 innings, giving up two earned runs on three hits. He also struck out two batters and walked one.

Red Raider starter Jonathon Tripp went three innings, allowing two earned runs on three hits.