Sports Briefs

Men’s soccer

New Mexico capped its spring exhibition schedule with a scoreless draw against FC Tucson, a semi-pro club, Saturday night in Tucson, Arizona.

The Lobos had two close calls, one in the first half and another in the second. Mathew Gibbons’ goal was reversed by an offside call at the 33-minute mark, and James Rogers missed a shot from 16 yards out with one minute left in regulation. UNM held a 13-8 shot advantage, including 9-4 on goal.

Goalie Patrick Poblete’s shutout gave UNM its third clean sheet of the spring. The team gave up only one goal in its five exhibition games.

The fall preseason begins Aug. 18 with a home exhibition against Fort Lewis, and the regular season opens Aug. 29 against Akron.

Softball

The Lobos’ final game of the season was a 5-4 loss at Boise State on Sunday. UNM ends the 2014 season with a 16-35 record overall, including 7-16 in Mountain West play.

UNM had trailed 4-1 through four innings, but tied the game with three runs in the fifth. However, Boise State won the contest in the final inning, in which Mackenzie Whyte blasted a walk-off home run.

The Lobos tallied four hits, including a 2-for-4 performance from Brandi Heimburg.

New Mexico also lost to Boise State in the first two games of the series by the scores of 7-0 and 7-5.