Crime Briefs

On April 28, the UNM Police Department responded to a report of burglary at the Lomas Parking Structure, according to a police report. The victim left his vehicle in the structure on April 27, late in the evening. The victim said when he returned to his vehicle following day, he noticed some of his clothes, a Kindle Fire and a Windows tablet missing, according to the report. The victim told officers he had to take his girlfriend to the airport before calling UNMPD to report the case, so officers were unable to collect evidence and the victim had no additional information.

On April 28, UNMPD received a report in regards to larceny and fraudulent use of a credit card. A woman alleged that she had left her purse in a cabinet, which was unlocked, while she was at work on North campus for several hours in the afternoon, according to a police report. As the victim was leaving work, she realized her purse had been gone through and that her wallet had been stolen, according to the report. The following day, the victim learned that her credit and debit cards had been used at gas stations, a Redbox kiosk and a fabric store. The victim also said that $80 in cash was taken from her purse. Police could not access the business locations and bank statements at the time, according to the report.

On May 3, UNMPD officers were dispatched to R Lot to meet with UNM security in regards to a suspect who had marijuana, according to a police report. The security officer stated he was walking by a Jeep parked in the lot when he smelled marijuana, according to the report. The security officer spoke to the Jeep’s occupant. The subject turned over a glass pipe and a grinder with what appeared to contain marijuana and told UNMPD officers that the items belonged to him, according to the report. Upon further investigation, officers discovered that the suspect was a student at Central New Mexico Community College, but lived on UNM campus. The items were taken and later tagged into UNM evidence. The suspect was released.

On May 4, a UNMPD officer was dispatched to the Lomas Parking Structure in response to a report of burglary, according to a police report. The victim reported that he had parked his vehicle in the structure at about 11 p.m. on May 3. When he returned the vehicle the next day, his car stereo and iPod Touch were missing, according to the report. The estimated value of the objects was about $500. There was no sign of forced entry, no evidence could be collected and the victim had no further information.

by Jennifer Bartleson