Sports Briefs

Baseball

The Lobos took sole possession of first place in the Mountain West thanks to a 6-5 win at Nevada on Sunday.

UNLV was tied atop the MW with UNM heading into the day, but lost 3-2 at San Diego State.

Down 5-4 with two outs in the top of the eighth, catcher Alex Real hit a two-run single to take a 6-5 lead. Closer Victor Sanchez (4-0) earned the win by pitching 2.1 shutout innings.

UNM finishes the regular season with a three-game series against Air Force, starting on Thursday.

Football

Former UNM offensive linemen Dillon Farrell and Darryl Johnson signed free-agent contracts with NFL teams on Saturday.

Farrell, a two-time All-Mountain West honorable mention, signed with the San Francisco 49ers.

The 6-foot-5, 300 pound lineman started 46 career games with the Lobos, 36 of them at center.

“I’m excited to play for such a championship-caliber organization as the 49ers,” Farrell said in a release. “I can’t wait to help in whatever role that I can.”

Johnson signed with the San Diego Chargers.

Johnson, who started 38 games during his UNM career, spent the 2014 season at left tackle.

Track and Field

Warrick Campbell earned first place in the triple jump, while Annie Sterling won the pole vault in the Lobos’ regular season finale on Friday at the Air Force Twilight Open.

Campbell leaped 48 feet, 1 3/4 inches in the triple jump. Jadon Boatwright claimed third place with a jump of 46-1 1/2 in his outdoor debut.

Sterling cleared 12-8 1/2 for her victory in the pole vault.

Lindsay Read and Asha Marler claimed second and third, respectively, in the triple jump. Read had a mark of 37-6 and Marler hit 37-5 3/4.

The Lobos travel next week to Laramie, Wyoming for the Mountain West Outdoor Championships.