Sports Briefs

Football

Senior offensive lineman LaMar Bratton, junior quarterback Cole Gautsche and sophomore linebacker Dakota Cox will be captains of the New Mexico football team for the 2014 season, the team announced Thursday.

Bratton, a fifth-year senior, started in all 37 games for the Lobos in the last three seasons and earned all-Mountain West honorable mention awards in 2012 and 2013.

In 21 career appearances, Gautsche amassed five 100-yard rushing games and more than 1,500 passing yards in two years in the Lobos’ triple option attack.

Cox became the first Lobo freshman in 20 years to lead the team in tackles. He had 99 tackles last season and averaged 12.6 tackles in the season’s final five games.

UNM head coach Bob Davie called it a great honor and responsibility for them to be named captains because they are selected by their teammates.

“All three are great leaders, and the fact that we have a junior and a sophomore as captains shows the youth and direction of this program,” he said.

Track and Field

Metric miler Peter Callahan posted UNM’s highest finish at the NCAA Division I Outdoor Championships in Eugene, Oregon, with a fourth-place finish on Saturday.

Callahan clocked a time of 3 minutes, 39.90 in the 1,500-meter run and received a first-team All-American honor from the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association.

Seven other UNM athletes competed at the NCAAs. Adam Bitchell ran 10,000 meters in 29:16.79 for a 10th place finish on Wednesday, while Luke Caldwell finished the race in 15th with a time of 29:48.64.

Charles Lewis was 11th in Wednesday’s 400 meter hurdles preliminaries in 50.86, and did not qualify for the finals.

UNM’s three entries in the women’s 1,500 meters also missed the finals. Sammy Silva was 16th overall in 4:22.95, Charlotte Arter was 21st in 4:26.45 and Suzi Boast was 24th in 4:34.10.

Finally, Richard York placed 24th in the javelin throw with a mark of 189 feet, 2 inches.

Women’s Basketball

Head coach Yvonne Sanchez promoted Jourdan Erskine to director of operations after one year as the team’s video coordinator. Erskine replaced Amy Beggin, who Sanchez named assistant coach.

Erskine played for Sanchez’s Lobos from 2009 to 2013.

“Already, Jourdan has shown an eagerness to gain as much knowledge as she can about the inner workings of a women’s college basketball program,” Sanchez said. “I’m eager to watch her continue to develop in her career.”

Sanchez also hired former West Las Vegas High School player and Western State Colorado University assistant coach Vera Joe Bustos to fill the video coordinator position.

Men’s Golf

Lobo senior-to-be Gavin Green won the PGM Vascory Templer Park Championship in Kuala Lumpur, Lalaysia, with an 11-stroke victory on Sunday.

Green is the first amateur to win an event on the Asian Development Tour. He shot a 26-under 262, shooting a 64 on the second and fourth days.

“This win means a lot to me,” Green said. “It shows that I can compete with professionals out there.”

Green said he plans to compete in a few more amateur tournaments before returning to UNM in August.

“Hopefully, I can continue to stay consistent,” he said.

~ Compiled by J.R. Oppenheim