Sports briefs

Men’s basketball

Head coach Craig Neal officially announced the addition of Samford transfer Tim Williams on Thursday.

Williams, a 6-foot-8 forward, spent the last two seasons with the Bulldogs. He was the 2012-13 Southern Conference Freshman of the Year after averaging 14.2 points, 7.1 rebounds and 1.1 blocks per game. He also earned a spot on the All-Southern Conference Third Team.

In his sophomore season, Williams earned a First Team All-Southern Conference nomination. He averaged 17.6 points, 7.3 rebounds and 1.4 blocks per game.

“We are really excited to have Tim join our program,” Neal said. “He was what we were looking for in that he’s an impact transfer who was one of the top scorers in the Southern Conference.”

Football

Lobo kick returner Carlos Wiggins was named a preseason Second Team All-American by Athlon Sports on Monday.

Wiggins was the only Mountain West player to earn a second-team nomination. Fresno State safety Derron Smith was a third-team pick.

Last year, Wiggins was named the Mountain West’s Special Teams Player of the Year after leading the nation with 1,303 kickoff return yards and three touchdowns.

Track and Field

UNM track and field athletes Luke Caldwell, Gabe Aragon and Patrick Zacharias earned 2014 Capital One Academic All-America honors Thursday.

Caldwell also received the

All-American of the Year Award.

The College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA) selected all three to the Capital One Academic All-America Division I Men’s Track and Field/Cross Country first team.

With the addition of Caldwell, Aragon and Zacharias, UNM now has five First Team All-America recipients in the 2013-14 school year, which is the most in school history and the third most in Division I history.

“Having three guys make the first team is amazing,” head coach Joe Franklin said. “And when you have one guy who is considered the best, that’s what you strive for. He was obviously a great candidate for that.”