UNM 125: Brubeck and Quartet Offer Jazz Improvisations in Gym

Printed Friday April 9, 1954

Jazz comes to the University Monday night when Dave Brubeck and his Quartet take over Carlisle gym at 8:30 to play their top ranking improvisations on well known themes.

The University of New Mexico Program Series is bringing the group to the city for their first concert appearance. The evening’s program will include the familiar tunes of “What is This Thing Called Love,” “September Song,” “Love Walked in,” “Singin’ in the Rain,” but with the classic jazz touch of pianist Dave Brubeck and his combo.

Appearing in the quartet with Brubeck are Paul Desmond, alto sax, Ron Crotty, bass and Lloyd Davis, drummer.

Beginning in 1947 with the San Francisco octet, Brubeck has climbed the ladder of jazz fame and rests on top with few near-by contenders.

An innovator, an arranger, an experimenter with jazz music, Brubeck’s past classic study of music is evident in his improvisory spirited music today.

“I’m going to try some other experiments,” said the pianist. “There is that piano suite. I’m working on a string quartet with a jazz movement, a Western movement.”

“Dave,” wrote one critic, “knows better than most musicians where we are in jazz, approximately where we can go next, and with what means. Few musicians are so stimulated by their craft, so stimulating in what they do with it. It is fitting that he, of all people should be placed in so responsible a position.”

In 1951, Dave Brubeck and his quartet won the Editors’ Choice of The Metronome Yearbook, and last year was the Critics’ Choice of the 1953 Jazz Poll in Down Beat.

Tickets for the Dave Brubeck Quartet concert are on sale at Riedling’s, Cleveland’s, Sasser’s, the Record Shop and the Albuquerque Music Store. UNM students will be admitted to the program on their activity tickets.